This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9041 / 53°54'14"N
Longitude: -1.6947 / 1°41'40"W
OS Eastings: 420157
OS Northings: 445364
OS Grid: SE201453
Mapcode National: GBR JRL9.X7
Mapcode Global: WHC8X.Y45F
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341449
Location: Otley, Leeds, LS21
Civil Parish: Otley
Built-Up Area: Otley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Otley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
30-JUL-51 (West side)
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
The chancel and transepts of rubble stone are the earliest parts; they
now have tall "Perpendicular" windows but the chancel also has two Norman
windows, and traces of another one destroyed by the insertion of "Perpendicular"
window in east end. Spacious nave with eastern window above the chancel.
Aisles of C14 to C15 with embattled parapets and Perpendicular windows.
Western tower probably C14 or C15, with embattled parapet and small lead-covered
wooden spire, the South porch is typical C18. On the North side are
parts of a Norman doorway, probably not in original position. Inside
West end of North aisle are shafts of three Saxon crosses and a massive
mediaeval grave slab with Gothic lettering. The oak pulpit is of typical
Georgian work. There are many monuments to members of important local
families, the most interesting one being an alter tomb with recumbent
effigies of grandparents of Thomas, Lord Fairfax, the commander of the
Parliamentary army in the Civil War. Cl9 railings to Church Lane, standards
with arrow heads.
Parish Church of All Saints and Memorial to victims of Bramhope Tunnel
Disaster form a group with Nos 1 and 2 Church Lane.
Listing NGR: SE2016345363
Other nearby listed buildings