This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5916 / 51°35'29"N
Longitude: -1.3557 / 1°21'20"W
OS Eastings: 444732
OS Northings: 188281
OS Grid: SU447882
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZM.033
Mapcode Global: VHCYK.G856
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250224
Location: West Hendred, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: West Hendred
Built-Up Area: West Hendred
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
18/186 Church of The Holy Trinity
Church. C14. Ashlar stone plinth with moulded top to south aisle porch and
tower; irregular flint and stone rubble mixture; lead roof to nave and aisles;
old plain-tile roof to chancel; roof of tower not visible. 3-bay aisled nave
with 2-bay chancel and west tower. Stone porch to centre of south aisle, with
plank double outer doors to 4-centre arched doorway. Paired trefoil open lancets
to each side of porch. Stone benches to interior of porch. Plank double doors to
2-centre arched inner doorway with hood mould, 2-light rectilinear tracery
windows to left and right of south aisle. 2 flat-roofed dormers with 2-light
casements to nave. 2-light rectilinear tracery window with flat head and hood
mould to east end of south aisle. Plank door to 2-centre arched doorway with
hood mould at centre of chancel. 2-light rectilinear tracery window with lancet
lights and flat head to left of chancel. 3-light reticulated tracery window to
east end of chancel. North side: blocked 2-centre arched doorway at centre of
north aisle. 2-light stone mullion window with lancet lights and flat heads to
left and right of north aisle, and to east end. 2-light reticulated tracery
window to left of chancel. 3-stage west tower: 2-light rectilinear tracery
louvred openings to each side of top stage. Plain parapet to tower. Interior:
braced collar-truss common-rafter roof to chancel. C14 encaustic tiles to
chancel floor, with some C19 encaustic tiles to upper step of sanctuary.
Probably early C18 wood altar rail with turned balusters and moulded rail.
Trefoil-topped pisciha to right of altar. Fragments of medieval glass to east
window. 2-centre chancel arch. Braced collar-truss common-rafter roof to nave,
with tie beams porbably inserted 1746 (one dated). C14 encaustic tiles to floor.
Hexagonal wood pulpit of c.1630 to left of chancel arch. C19 pews to nave,
except C15 fronts to rear rows of pews, with blind tracery. Aisle arcades of
three 2-centre arches on octagonal columns. North aisle has some C15 pews, one
with blind tracery to end, Red cross painted on north wall to east end of aisle.
South aisle: octagonal stone font with wood pyramidal cover of c.1630. Red cross
painted on south wall to east end of aisle.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p264; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924,
Listing NGR: SU4473288276
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings