This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1863 / 51°11'10"N
Longitude: -2.2764 / 2°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 380780
OS Northings: 143044
OS Grid: ST807430
Mapcode National: GBR 0SY.F9Q
Mapcode Global: VH97M.HFFY
Entry Name: Stables at Longleat House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313359
Location: Horningsham, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Horningsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 84 SW
Stables at Longleat House
Stable block, now offices and exhibition space. 1800-02 by Jeffry
Wyatville for 2nd Marquess of Bath. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate
hipped roofs, ashlar stacks. Enclosed square courtyard, entrances
on south, north and east sides, 2-storey corner towers to single-storey ranges. Elizabethan-style to conform with main house. Main
entrance on south side; central entrance with cast-iron gates and
gates piers, either side is cross window flanked by Doric
pilasters, cross window and segmental-headed recessed blind panel
to sides with projecting towers; two cross windows and Doric
pilasters and entablature, first floors have two cross windows with
Ionic pilasters and entablature to blocking course with scrolled
decoration, all windows with moulded architraves. Attached to
right is curved colonnade to covered walkway. East side has 5-bay
blocks, formerly laundry and coachman's house, with cross windows,
with additional 2-bay block on north, now part of estate office,
central entrance leading to gardens and to curved walled drive.
North side, formerly carriage house, retains most of five
segmental-headed double studded doors either side of entry to
courtyard, half-round yard to north enclosed by Flemish bond brick
walls containing stone horse troughs and with flanking 'lodges',
now toilet blocks. West side, formerly stable, has central 2-
storey clock tower with tripartite sashes and blocking course with
shaped parapet, cupola with gilded clock face and weathervane and
ogee fishscale shingled roof, either side of tower are sashes or
cross windows. Inner-facing facades of ranges have studded
doorways, cross windows and some blind bays, carriage-ways on east
sides of north and south ranges, west side has central blocked
segmental arch with inserted doorway, below clock tower.
Interior: Main stable blocks on west and south sides; retain
cast-iron and timber stalls and loose boxes made by Musgraves of
Belfast, herringbone tiled floors, corniced ceilings. Farrier's
workshop preserved as exhibition, in west corner of south range.
Grooms' accommodation formerly in corner towers. Designed and
built when Wyatville was employed to improve Longleat House (q.v.)
and provide additional buildings in the park, Humphry Repton was
involved in the siting of the stables in their landscaped setting
at Longleat. N. Pevsner recorded C18 statues by Claud David, on
the roof, but not extant at time of survey (June 1985). (Longleat Red Book by Repton and original plans in Longleat Archives)
Listing NGR: ST8078043044
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 8th July 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings