History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Number 115 (Folly Bridge) British Rail Midland Region London-Rugby Line

A Grade II Listed Building in Marsworth, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8165 / 51°48'59"N

Longitude: -0.6408 / 0°38'27"W

OS Eastings: 493785

OS Northings: 213969

OS Grid: SP937139

Mapcode National: GBR F4H.0TM

Mapcode Global: VHFRP.VL2V

Entry Name: Bridge Number 115 (Folly Bridge) British Rail Midland Region London-Rugby Line

Listing Date: 2 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350315

Location: Marsworth, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP23

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Marsworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Marsworth

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

SP 91 SW MARSWORTH BRITISH RAIL
MIDLAND REGION
4/46 LONDON-RUGBY LINE
-
Bridge No 115
(Folly Bridge)

GV II

Road bridge over railway at Tring Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert Stephenson for the
London and Birmingham Railway Company. Brown brick with stone impost bands, skewbacks,
cornice, and parapet copings. Northern parapet rebuilt for safety reasons in red brick
with triangular section concrete copings. A long narrow three-arched bridge with
working controlled by traffic lights on the B488 road, where it crosses the great
Tring Cutting, 2½ miles long and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring segmental arch
in middle over trackbed with slender rectangular pierat foot of earth slope on each
side, and tall opening through each pier with round arched head and bottom. Slightly
lower segmental 7-ring side arches to abutments buried in earth slope. Wide unmoulded
stone cornice at roadway level with brick parapet and rectangular terminal piers with
weathered stone copings remaining on S side. The cutting was made necessary by
Stephenson's decision to have a maximum gradient of 1/330 on the line, and there is a
well known lithograph by J C Bourne showing an army of navvies excavating it. The
line was opened 9 April 1838. The county boundary withHertfordshire follows the
centre-line of the road over the bridge. (Leleux(1976)13-15).


Listing NGR: SP9378513969

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.