History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Zoar Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Swaffham Prior, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2578 / 52°15'28"N

Longitude: 0.3026 / 0°18'9"E

OS Eastings: 557257

OS Northings: 264680

OS Grid: TL572646

Mapcode National: GBR M88.KB1

Mapcode Global: VHHK0.6JB0

Entry Name: Zoar Chapel

Listing Date: 20 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350349

Location: Swaffham Prior, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Swaffham Prior

Built-Up Area: Swaffham Prior

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Swaffham Prior St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Burwell

Listing Text

TL 5764 SWAFFHAM PRIOR ROGERS ROAD

13/10003 Zoar Chapel

II

Baptist chapel. Dated 1821; extended later in C19. Plastered timber-frame with Flemish bond
gault brick SE front. Pantile roof with gabled ends; slate roof lean-to extension. Plan: Single
cell rectangular plan (20ft by 30ft) with entrance in SE end, and rostrum at NW end. Later in
C19 a lean-to extension was added on the SW side with a fireplace on the outer (SW) wall.
Exterior: 1 storey. Gabled SE brick front with central 2-centred arch doorway with fanlight
with V glazing bars and panelled door, large window to left and right with cambered brick
arches and panelled shutters and stone tablet above in gable "Zoar Chapel Erected 1821". Lean-
to on left with similar but smaller shuttered window and glazed and panelled door on extreme
left. NE side blind. NW end 2 casements with glazing bars in gable and 4-pane sash in lean-to
on right. Interior: Box pews and benches with shaped ends. Rostrum with splat balusters,
turned newels, moulded and wreathed rail and shaped back. Panelled dado. Roof ceiled. C19
wall memorials. C19 chimneypiece in lean-to extension.
Source: RCHM Cambs. Vol II p120 (3).


Listing NGR: TL5725764680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.