This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5178 / 51°31'4"N
Longitude: -2.1371 / 2°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 390580
OS Northings: 179882
OS Grid: ST905798
Mapcode National: GBR 1QD.SL4
Mapcode Global: VH964.X31S
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316082
Location: Stanton St. Quintin, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Quintin
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton St Quintin
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
STANTON ST QUINTIN UPPER STANTON
ST 97 NW (south side)
8/252 Church of St Giles
Anglican parish church, C12 to C15, altered 1826, 1851 by J.H.
Hakewill and with chancel of 1888 by C.E. Ponting. Rubble stone
with stone slate roofs. Nave, south aisle, south porch, centre
tower with small vestry to north and broad chancel. Nave has C19
two-light west window of 1851 over reset C12 carved figure of
Christ enthroned with dragon beneath his feet. Clasping
buttresses, 2-window north side 2-light and 3-light pointed C15
windows with hoodmoulds. Buttress between. Tower is plain rubble
stone with neo-Norman bell-openings of 1851 (Pevsner) or 1826
(church guide), corbel-table and flat parapet. Attached to north
is 'vestry' of uncertain date, north side has ashlar angle piers
and corbel table, west end has small pellet-decorated roundel, east
end C19 small 2-light. 1888 chancel is exceptionally ornate
Perpendicular style, 3-bay with pinnacled buttresses and pierced
parapet. Three 2-light flat-headed windows to north with dripcourse
stepped over. Lower dripcourses stepped down under the windows.
Ashlar east end is more ornate with parapet stepped up to niche
with carved Crucifixion, broad 5-light 4-centred east window with
ogee finial and finials each side. Carved panels below lights.
Carved stone to W. Whatly died 1695 built-in above plinth. Two-bay
south side is similar to north, but wider left bay incorporates
re-used medieval pointed doorway. South aisle appears all C19,
with plain stepped lancets each end, coped gables and south side
lancet, porch, paired-.lancets and lancet. Porch is apparently C19
but incorporates exceptional C12 outer doorway, round arched with
chevron ornament and dog-tooth hoodmould. Carved head stops.
Heavily carved capitals with shafts entering open mouth. Nook
shafts each side. St Christopher figure in niche, reset over
entry. Pointed 2-chamfer inner doorway, oak plank door and wicket.
Interior: C15 arched-braced collar roof to nave and C19 roof to
aisle. Fine 2-bay c1200 arcade with one round, one pointed arch,
chevron-ornamented on north side with dog-tooth ornament to
hoodmoulds and carved head stops. Circular centre pier and semi-
circular responds with crocket caps, the centre cap also with
carved heads. Bases raised on high broad pedestals. C12 broad
east arch has chevron and pellet decorated arch with ornamented
outer moulding. Column shafts and angle shafts with leaf-caps and
volutes. Tower has north side doorway to 'vestry' and oak-lined
double recess to right. Fine C14 pointed chancel arch with two
deep wave mouldings. Chancel is broad with 3-bay roof on heavy
corbels. Arch-braced collar trusses with pierced tracery above
collars, decorated wall-plate. At south east angle is fine reused
canopied piscina with carved heads under bowl and under canopy
shafts. Fittings: in chancel carved plaques to Rev W. Charmbury
died 1676 and Rev W. Twentyman died 1732. In nave, one north side
c1900 stained glass window, ornate later C19 carved stone pulpit
and in south aisle exceptional Romanesque font of c1200, circular
on spurred square base. Two upper bands of scales, a moulding and
lower band of large projecting circular knobs.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975, 478-9)
Listing NGR: ST9058079882
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings