History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Men's Almhouses walled Forecourt with Gateway to Nos 1 to 4

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3453 / 51°20'43"N

Longitude: -2.2517 / 2°15'5"W

OS Eastings: 382568

OS Northings: 160724

OS Grid: ST825607

Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.MJJ

Mapcode Global: VH96V.XGH0

Entry Name: Men's Almhouses walled Forecourt with Gateway to Nos 1 to 4

Listing Date: 18 April 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312560

Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon

Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bradford on Avon

Listing Text

1. FROME ROAD
5411 (East Side)

18.4.52. Nos 1 to 4 (consec)
- (Men's Almhouses)
Walled forecourt with
gateway to Nos 1 to 4
(consec)
ST 8260 2/109

II* GV

2.
Dated 1700 (restored 1891). Oblong building in stone with ashlar frontage,
2 storeys, high-pitched hipped stone-tile roof with projecting eaves.
Two tall ashlar chimneys, one bearing a carved stone letter "K" and the
other an "M", each surmounted by a coronet (allusion to the Dukes of
Kingston and Earls Manvers). The almshouses consist of 4 dwellings to
accommodate 4 old men. Each house has 1 window on each floor, leaded
casements with stone mullions, and a plain square-headed doorway opening
on to a small forecourt fronting the Frome Road. A carved stone achievement
above the centre doorway carried the coat of arms (sable, 3 poleaxes palewise
2 and 1 argent) and the crest (an arm embowed in armour proper holding
a poleaxe) of the Ball family. The forecourt is surrounded by a stone
wall with urns and has a gateway with ball-capped stone piers, a wrought-iron
gate and handrails into the design of which has been incorporated the
armorial bearings of 3 poleaxes.

Nos 1 to 4 (consec) form a group with The Three Horseshoes, Frome Road
The Liberal Club, The Baptist Chapel, The Congregational Church and Hall
and Nos 6 to 16 (consec) 19 to 22 (consec) 36, 42 to 49 (consec) and
Westbury House, St Margaret's Street and No 1 St Margaret's Hill.


Listing NGR: ST8256860728

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.