This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6334 / 52°38'0"N
Longitude: -1.1317 / 1°7'54"W
OS Eastings: 458861
OS Northings: 304310
OS Grid: SK588043
Mapcode National: GBR FHK.3W
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.L29J
Entry Name: 8 and 10, Bishop Street
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188581
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Nos 8 and it)
SK 5804 SE 3/215
No 8. 1887 by Arthur Wakerley. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof.
Three storeys. Two window bays, various stone mullion/transom windows.
First floor right timber oriel with sham timber-frame gable on carved
console brackets to second floor above. Round-arched doorway with fanlight.
No 10 to right - 1873 by Redfern & Sawday former Weslyan School, now Magistrates
Court. Gothic style. Red brick slate roof. Two storeys. Two gables.
Three window bays. First floor centre two-light window with moulded
brick jambs and stone lintel. End windows good and first floor similar
but with pointed arches with trefoil in tympanum. Central pointed arch
doorway with trefoiled fanlight and panelled door. Blue engineering brick
bands. Stone coping and band in gables with inscription - Wesleyan Schools.
Included for group value.
All the listed buildings in Bishop Street together with The Town Hall,
Pickfords Fountain and War Memorial, Town Hall Square rear elevations
of Nos 7, 9, and 11 Granby Street and No 10, The Royal Hotel, Nos 17, 19
and 21 Horsefair Street form a group around Town Hall Square. (Pickfords
is a building of local interest).
Listing NGR: SK5886104310
Other nearby listed buildings