History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Benger, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5074 / 51°30'26"N

Longitude: -2.0767 / 2°4'36"W

OS Eastings: 394771

OS Northings: 178718

OS Grid: ST947787

Mapcode National: GBR 2RZ.HRB

Mapcode Global: VH965.YCHS

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 29 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 316104

Location: Sutton Benger, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Benger

Built-Up Area: Sutton Benger

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Benger

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Sutton Benger

Listing Text

SUTTON BENGER HIGH STREET
ST 9478 (north side)

12/276 The Old Rectory

GV II


Rectory, 1841, possibly on earlier core, ashlar with slate roofs
and paired ashlar stacks on north and south ridges. Two storeys,
square plan, ornate Tudor Gothic style with deep set mullion
windows and small-paned sashes, battlemented parapets and coved
cornices. West front has advanced gable to right, coped with raked
parapet and cornice, angle and apex finials, large ground floor
1:4:1-light canted bay and projected first floor 3-light window
above. Bay has Tudor-arched lights, parapet, finials and centre
gablet, upper window is corniced and embattled. Apex small hooded
lancet. Range to left has roof hipped at north west angle, 2-light
first floor window flanked by single lights, all with hoodmoulds
and similar ground floor arrangement of door and single lights,
Tudor-arched, the door with overlight. Ground floor is set in fine
3-bay Tudor loggia with buttresses, pierced parapet and centre
gablet. Loggia links to advanced single storey drawing room with
hipped roof, cornice, parapet and projecting centre 3-light mullion
and transom window with carved arms in gable above and finials.
North side has large canted bay window. North east 2-storey gabled
wing with north end mullion windows and finials to gable. North
wall of main house has battlements carried round. South side is
set high over road, plain rendered wall with parapet and roof
hipped to south east but attached is fine ashlar lean-to
conservatory, Tudor style, five bays, with parapet, finials and
iron intersecting glazing bars. Left bay is doorway with overlight
and steps up to similar Tudor arched door at right angles to west
front. Glazed roof is missing.
Interiors: centre hall, drawing room to left and dining room to
right all have fine Gothic plaster cornices. Hall and drawing room
have centre Gothic ceiling roses. Drawing room and dining room
have stone Gothic fireplaces. Hall has stone Tudor-arched screen
to rear stair hall, centre opening and 3-lights each side. Stone
cantilevered stair on rear wall with Gothic wrought iron
balustrade. Built for the Rev G. Marsh, died 1862.


Listing NGR: ST9371278240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.