This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0831 / 52°4'59"N
Longitude: -1.3316 / 1°19'53"W
OS Eastings: 445899
OS Northings: 242956
OS Grid: SP458429
Mapcode National: GBR 7SN.66G
Mapcode Global: VHCW1.VXX0
Entry Name: Hardwick House
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Last Amended: 14 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244500
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Built-Up Area: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
BANBURY SOUTHAM ROAD
SP44SE (East side)
2/200 Hardwick House
09/04/52 (Formerly listed as Hardwick
Farmhouse. Probably C16, with later alterations and extensions. Main front:
stuccoed ironstone, steeply pitched red tile roof, brick ridge and end stacks
including a massive central stack on a stone base, stone plinth. E-plan. 2
storeys plus attic; 5-windo; range. Entrance to left has 4-centred arched stone
doorway with chamfered jambs and soffit. Plank door with wrought-iron
strap-hinges and C20 porch. Garage opening to left. To right: a 2-light
stone-mullioned window with 4-centred heads and incised spandrel decoration; a
partly blocked similar window; a blocked doorway. First floor has 3- and 5-light
wood-mullioned windows and three C20 windows. Two 3-light roof dormers with
raking roofs. Right end: central doorway has 4-panelled door, overlight and
wooden doorcase with hood. Two 2-light stone-mullioned windows with 4-centred
arched heads to left. A 4-light window with cambered head to right. First floor
has 3- and 4-light wood-mullioned and transomed windows. Mullions are ovolo in
section. Left end: brick and ironstone. Single storey extensions have hipped or
catslide slate roof. 2-storey gabled projection to far left. Rear: 2-storey
wings to left and right with a 2-storey rectangular ironstone projection, and
2-storey brick staircase projection in between. A 3-light stone-mullioned window
with 4-centred arched heads and 2- and 3-light casements. Some windows have
wrought iron casement fasteners. Interior: cellar with brick lining and stone
flat floor with runnel. Stone flag floors. Massive, chamfered beams. 4-centred
arched doorways. Plank doors. Wide floorboards in attics. Winder staircases.
Large inglenook fireplace now mostly concealed behind later wall and cupboard in
ground floor room to right of main entrance. 4-bay collar truss roof with butt
purlins and wind braces, pegged at the apex. Reputed to incorporate early C16
doorways and windows from an earlier manor house situated to the north of the
present farmhouse. From C15 to C17 the Hardwick estate was held by members of
the Cope family, prominent in local and national affairs.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, p.46; Beesley, A., History of Banbury, 1841,
pp.191,261 and 615).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings