This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6248 / 52°37'29"N
Longitude: -1.1784 / 1°10'42"W
OS Eastings: 455711
OS Northings: 303317
OS Grid: SK557033
Mapcode National: GBR F4N.XZ
Mapcode Global: WHDJH.W904
Entry Name: Stables and Walled Garden West of Braunstone Hall
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Last Amended: 8 December 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188589
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Braunstone Park & Rowley Fields
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: St Peter Braunstone Park
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
STABLES AND WALLED
GARDEN WEST OF
Stable block and walled garden lying to the west of and contemporary with Braunstone Hall dated to 1776 by the architect William Oldman (who later became the Lord Mayor of Leicester).
MATERIALS: Built of red brick and stone, C19 slate roof.
EXTERIOR: It is built of red brick with dentilled eaves, is two storeys and has a pitched, slated roof. The machine saw appearance of the roof structure would suggest that it is C19 in date and that the slate covering was applied at the same time.
The main elevation has a central archway with a pedimented gable above, a lunette window and pigeon holes. To each side of the arch are four windows with flat brick arches and stone sills. The windows are all casements with glazing bars. Each end of the main range is a projecting wing each with two elliptical arch carriageways facing inwards and a lunette window in the end wall. Attached to the ends of the stable block at the rear, are the walls of the walled garden which form, with the back wall of the stable block, a complete, square enclosure. The walls appear to be of the late C18, perhaps with a C19 coping.
INTERIOR: The stable stalls have been removed in all but a small part and many of the spaces converted for offices.
HISTORY: Braunstone Hall, the attached kitchen wing, associated stable block and walled garden; were built in 1776 for Clement Winstanley by a local architect and builder William Oldman (who later became the Lord Mayor of Leicester). The hall was built on a rise overlooking Charnwood Forest and set in 100 acres of parkland. Clement died in 1808 and the next to become heir was his eldest son Clement, J. P. Lieutenant-Colonel of the Leicestershire Militaria from 1802-9. He was also the Chairman of the Leicester and Swanington Railway which opened in 1832. He died unmarried in 1855. After a brief spell in the ownership of his nephew James Beaumont, Braunstone Hall passed to James' sister Anna Jane Pochin. Anna relinquished the estate in 1904 in favour of her son Richard Norman who changed his name by deed poll to Winstanley. In 1925, while still in residence, Leicester Corporation compulsory purchased Richard Winstanleys' land in Braunstone for much needed housing.
SOURCES: John Nicholls, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester (4 vols., London, 1795-1815)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The stable block and walled garden at Braunstone Hall are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a C18 stable block and walled garden which survives well.
* The architect was William Oldman, later Lord Mayor of Leicester, which adds interest.
* Group value with Braunstone Hall and the Kitchen wing is also of significance.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings