This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8974 / 51°53'50"N
Longitude: -1.1507 / 1°9'2"W
OS Eastings: 458533
OS Northings: 222435
OS Grid: SP585224
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.3WF
Mapcode Global: VHCX4.0KJT
Entry Name: The Old Court House
Listing Date: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243589
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER SHEEP STREET
SP5822S (West side)
3/114 No.5 (The Old Court House)
Court house, now offices. 1864. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings;
banded Welsh- and Westmorland-slate roofs with stone stacks. Main range plus
rear wing. Gothic style. 2 storeys, now further divided. 4-window front has the
entrance to extreme right - a Caernarvon-arched doorway within a
pointed-segmental arch with a carved and traceried tympanum - above which is a
carved royal arms, and a single-light window, also with a Caernarvon head within
a pointed-segmental arch. The other bays all have 3-light stone-mullioned
windows with Caernavron heads, the continuous label mould linked to that over
the doorway, and running between carved grotesques; at first floor, are tall
2-light windows in pointed-segmental arches with foliage labels stops, all with
trefoil-headed lights and central roundels. The tall steep-pitched roof, with
crested ridge tiles and 3 triangular dormer ventilators, has large stepped gable
parapets plus a similar but smaller gable over the entrance bay. The left main
gable contains a large rose window below a pointed-segmental arch. Rear has
similar first-floor windows plus a tall lateral stack. Short rear wing returns
on left. Interior: arch-braced collar-truss roof with pierced spandrels, the
posts springing from stone corbels carved with faces and stiff-leaf foliage.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.19; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.456).
Listing NGR: SP5853222433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings