This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3855 / 51°23'7"N
Longitude: -2.0543 / 2°3'15"W
OS Eastings: 396316
OS Northings: 165163
OS Grid: ST963651
Mapcode National: GBR 2TK.3FL
Mapcode Global: VHB47.BFTQ
Entry Name: Group of Seven Monuments in Churchyard South of Pathway South of South East Chapel of Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311187
Location: Bromham, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Bromham
Built-Up Area: Bromham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bromham, Chittoe and Sandy Lane
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 9665 BROMHAM HIGH STREET
10/37 Group of seven monuments in church-
yard south of pathway south of south
east chapel of Church of St Nicholas
Group of seven chest tombs in an irregular row, late C17 to C19,
ashlar. From north:
a) John Gaby memorial, early C18, with projecting centre each
side. South side centre has large raised circular plaque with
moulded frame. North side has rectangular fielded plaque in
egg-and-dart frame, flanked by heavy acanthus scroll. Moulded
base and cornice with pulvinated frieze, broken forward over
centre. North side inscription to John Gaby died 1724.
b) R. Tarrant memorial, late C17, with 2 sunk panels each side,
sunk end panels, moulded base and capstone. South side
inscription to Robert Tarrant of Netherstreet.
c) Gaby memorial, early C18, with 2 oval plaques each side and
oval end plaques. South side plaques in luxuriant foliage
borders, north side plaques with acanthus keystones, carved
borders and carving in spandrels including winged skulls and
hour-glasses. Moulded base and capstone. South side
inscription to Jane Gaby died 1797.
d) Unidentified memorial, late C18 with 2 octagonal raised plaques
each side, fielded centre and angle piers, moulded base and
cornice with pulvinated frieze broken forward over piers.
e) Rawlings memorial, mid C18, with 2 shield plaques each side,
fielded centre and angle piers, moulded base and cornice,
broken forward over piers. North side inscription to Eleanor
Rawlings died 1749.
f) William Butler memorial, late C18 with carved lyre ends,
two fielded plaques each side with husk drop between. Moulded
base and cornice recessed over centre. South side inscription
to W. Butler died 1780.
g) Butler memorial, early C19 with moulded capstone and ridge top.
Slab sides with shaped plaque on grooved ground each side.
Floral drop to side piers. South side inscription to Betty
Butler died 1830.
Listing NGR: ST9631665163
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings