History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

85 and 86

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1361 / 51°8'9"N

Longitude: -2.207 / 2°12'25"W

OS Eastings: 385610

OS Northings: 137443

OS Grid: ST856374

Mapcode National: GBR 1VY.LTX

Mapcode Global: VH97V.PPLY

Entry Name: 85 and 86

Listing Date: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313391

Location: Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kingston Deverill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Monkton Deverill

Listing Text

KINGSTON DEVERILL MONKTON DEVERILL VILLAGE
ST 83 NE
(north side)
6/170 Nos 85 and 86

GV II

Detached house, now pair of semi-detached cottages. Mid C18.
Rubble stone, tiled 2-span roof, gabled end brick stacks. Two
parallel ranges. Two-storey, 2-windowed; sashes. Central
planked door with gabled canopy, 16-pane sash either side. First
floor has large moulded stone panel over door, with high relief
carving of Ludlow heraldic arms, either side is 12-pane sash.
Right return has planked door and blocked sash with beaded stone
case to first floor. Rear has planked door and 2-light casements,
12-pane sashes in beaded cases to right.
Interior has chamfered beams, planked doors or doors with two
fielded panels. Rear range is late C18 addition to front range
which was probably refenestrated C19. Ludlow family held large
estates in the Deverills from C14, married into Coker family c1650
and sold the estate to Duke of Marlborough in 1738. Thomas Coker
is said to have moved to this house, from Hill Deverill Manor in
1737, and to have placed the Ludlow arms over the door. (R. Colt
Hoare, The Modern History of Wiltshire, Vol I, 1822.)


Listing NGR: ST8561037443

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.