This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1353 / 51°8'7"N
Longitude: -2.2074 / 2°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 385583
OS Northings: 137354
OS Grid: ST855373
Mapcode National: GBR 1VY.LS0
Mapcode Global: VH97V.PQDK
Entry Name: Church of St Alfred the Great of the West Saxon
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313393
Location: Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Kingston Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
KINGSTON DEVERILL MONKTON DEVERILL VILLAGE
ST 83 NE
6/172 Church of St. Alfred the Great
11.9.68 of the West Saxon.
Anglican parish church, now redundant. C14 tower, rest rebuilt
1845 by T. H. Wyatt. Rubble stone, tiled roof. Consists of nave
and chancel under one roof, west tower and south porch. Gabled
south porch with double-chamfered pointed doorway, coped verge.
South side of nave has three 2-light Perpendicular-style windows
with hoodmoulds. East end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light
pointed Perpendicular-style window. North side of nave has two 2-
light Perpendicular-style windows and one cusped lancet to left, to
left is lean-to vestry with 2-light C16-style window with hoodmould
and chamfered ashlar stack, chancel has one cusped lancet. Two-
stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular-
style west window, moulded string course to bellstage; one ogee-
cusped light, plain parapet with saddleback coping.
Interior cleared during 1970s. Four-bay nave and chancel roof has
arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses on stone corbels. Double-
chamfered tower arch, beam to ceiling of first stage has date and
initials; 17. IBB 02. Only fittings comprise a few remaining C19
pews, limestone reredos with blind arcading, 1703 bell on floor of
chancel. Church declared redundant 1970, empty at time of survey
Listing NGR: ST8558337354
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings