History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Aston Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in North Aston, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9583 / 51°57'29"N

Longitude: -1.3035 / 1°18'12"W

OS Eastings: 447958

OS Northings: 229096

OS Grid: SP479290

Mapcode National: GBR 7V7.19V

Mapcode Global: VHCWV.C18L

Entry Name: North Aston Manor

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200646

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244006

Location: North Aston, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: North Aston

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: North Aston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Middle Aston

Listing Text

SP42NE NORTH ASTON SOMERTON ROAD
(South side)
5/279 North Aston Manor
08/12/55
II
Manor house. Probably C15, altered and re-modelled C17, and extended early C18,
C19 and 1911. Partly-coursed limestone rubble witn some wooden lintels and some
ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with stone-and-brick stacks. Main
range plus cross-wings, probably deriving from a hall house. 2 storeys. Garden
front has a recessed central section with 3 renewed cross-windows at ground
floor and large C20 casements above; to right, in the angle with the cross-wing,
are 2 stair projections with casements and a sash window. Left cross wing is
probably C17 or earlier and has a stone-architraved window above a 3-light
casement. C18 right cross-wing is taller and has an ashlar storeyband and
12-pane sashes with plain stone architraves and projecting keyblocks, both wings
have hipped roofs and stone-based lateral stacks, the 2 to left with large
projections and some rebuilt diagonal shafts. Rear of left wing is wider and has
a pair of windows with moulded keyblock surrounds; the return to the central
range has a plinth and buttress and may be medieval. Adjoining it, a fine C15
doorway in the main range has a 4-centre-arched surround with continuous wave
mouldings below a hood mould. Right side of C18 wing has a 3-window arrangement
of stone-architraved sashes, those at ground floor with thick glazing bars; an
inserted doorway, now the main entrance, replicates the medieval door. To rear
of the right wing is a long range of 1911. Interior: central range has a
4-centre-arched chamfered stone doorway with a hood mould, and has roof trusses
with low cambered collars which may be medieval. Left range has very thick
walls, and includes a wide segmental-arched stone fireplace with impost blocks
and keyblock, above which is some bolection-mould panelling.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p719; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p11)


Listing NGR: SP4795829096

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.