This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2845 / 51°17'4"N
Longitude: -2.0515 / 2°3'5"W
OS Eastings: 396503
OS Northings: 153933
OS Grid: ST965539
Mapcode National: GBR 2VQ.J4G
Mapcode Global: VHB4M.DZ95
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Saviour
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200728
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311230
Location: Erlestoke, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Erlestoke
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Erlestoke Holy Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 96 53 ERLESTOKE HIGH STREET
15/80 Church of the Holy Saviour
Anglican parish church, 1880 by G.E. Street for Lady Hannah Watson-
Taylor of Erlestoke Park. Ashlar with plain tile roofs and coped
gables. Perpendicular style. Nave, chancel, north chapel and
organ chamber, south porch tower, transept and vestry. 4-light
west window, 3-window nave with buttresses between. South side has
2 windows and then projecting 3-stage tower with 2-light bell
openings, embattled parapet and pyramid roof. East side stair
tower up to second stage. Moulded pointed south doorway. To right
transept gable with 2-light flat-headed window. Lean-to vestry
with door and flat-headed window. One chancel south wall window.
Five-light east window. Chancel north side has one window then
north chapel gabled each end with 3-light flat-headed east window.
Nave north side has 3 windows.
Ashlar lined interior with hammerbeam nave roof and arch-braced
chancel roof. Continuously moulded chancel arch and arch to north
chapel, 4-centred arch to south transept. Chancel has east window
and south window glass by Kempe 1880 and c1887. In nave C16 oak
pulpit. In north chapel brass to E. Axford died 1726 and plaque to
J. Tilly died 1750. In south transept 4 reset armorial plaques.
In porch and nave 3 short Norman columns and half-columns, said to
come from previous church, though this was apparently aisleless.
(N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 240-1).
Listing NGR: ST9650353933
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings