History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

A Grade II Listed Building in Didsbury West, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4273 / 53°25'38"N

Longitude: -2.2401 / 2°14'24"W

OS Eastings: 384145

OS Northings: 392303

OS Grid: SJ841923

Mapcode National: GBR DXST.T4

Mapcode Global: WHB9V.K3JX

Entry Name: Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire

Listing Date: 9 August 1988

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388261

Location: Manchester, M20

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Didsbury West

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: West Didsbury Christ Church and St Christopher Withington

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Cheadle

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SW LAPWING LANE, Barlow Moor
698-1/8/502 (South side)
09/08/88 Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire
(Formerly Listed as:
LAPWING LANE, West Didsbury
(South side)
Former Mercantile Bank of Lancashire
(Barclays Bank))

II

Former Bank. Dated 1903; designed by Joseph Swarbrick.
Finely-pointed red brick with red and yellow terracotta
detailing; hipped 2-span red tiled roof with crested ridge
tiles. L-shaped plan, the longer range containing the former
banking hall and general office, and the smaller range (to the
left) the former manager's office. Single storey, 2+2 bays to
Lapwing Lane and 3 bays to Cresswell Grove; with corner
pilasters, plinth, moulded sill-band to arcade of round-headed
arches, yellow terracotta string-course, frieze with
terracotta panel lettered "MERCANTILE BANK OF LANCASHIRE
LIMITED", prominent modillioned cornice with egg-and-dart
enrichment, and coped parapet. The left bay of the main range
has double doors with raised panels; the other bays (boarded
at time of survey) had 3-light round-headed tripartite windows
(when surveyed in 1988). Right-hand corner has nicely-detailed
recessed downpipe and rainwater head dated 1903. Interior
(1988): mahogany doors with lugged surrounds; 2 staircases (to
vaults) with turned balusters; egg-and-dart cornices; mosaic
floors.


Listing NGR: SJ8414592303

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.