This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4843 / 53°29'3"N
Longitude: -2.227 / 2°13'37"W
OS Eastings: 385032
OS Northings: 398642
OS Grid: SJ850986
Mapcode National: GBR DNF.GZ
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.RPQ7
Entry Name: New Mill
Listing Date: 20 June 1988
Last Amended: 6 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388214
Location: Manchester, M4
Electoral Ward/Division: Ancoats and Clayton
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester Church of the Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1219022. This entry was removed from the List on 20 January 2017.
JERSEY STREET, Ancoats
(Formerly Listed as: JERSEY STREET, Ancoats Mill building, part of Murray's Mill)
Cotton spinning mill, now disused. Built in 1804. Red brick in
Flemish bond, with slate roof. Cast-iron and timber internal
structure. Six storeys, 22 bays, with slightly advanced 6-window
range to centre, and 4-window gabled returns. Cambered brick
heads to 9-paned windows. Semicircular stair turret in centre
of rear elevation, which also has narrow vent-towers to each
side. Detached engine house beyond the stair turret was partly
rebuilt in the late C19 or early C20 (a new engine house built
early C20 on conversion to rope drive does not survive).
Original internal structure comprised cruciform cast-iron
columns supporting timber beams and joisted floors: these
survive on upper storeys, and have been replaced with
cylindrical columns and steel beams elsewhere.
The mill was built as part of Adam and George Murray's textile
works, established on this site in 1798, and expanded to form
a courtyard in which three spinning mills were linked by warehouse
and office blocks around a courtyard and canal basin.
Included as a now rare example of early non-fireproof
construction, and as an important component of Murray's mills.
(Williams, M.: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: LONDON:
1992-: 159-162; Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments
Listing NGR: SJ8503298642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings