This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4806 / 53°28'50"N
Longitude: -2.2411 / 2°14'28"W
OS Eastings: 384094
OS Northings: 398236
OS Grid: SJ840982
Mapcode National: GBR DKH.D9
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.KS02
Entry Name: Estate Exchange
Listing Date: 3 October 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200835
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388137
Location: Manchester, M2
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8498SW FOUNTAIN STREET
698-1/28/137 (West side)
Overseers' and Churchwardens' office, now commercial offices.
1852, raised 1858, both by Thomas Worthington; altered. Red
brick with sandstone dressings, slate roof. Rectangular plan.
Italian palazzo style. Three-storey 4-window facade with
basement and attic (top 2 floors added 1858), with channelled
corner pilasters, stone basement, sill-bands to all floors,
stone attic storey, very prominent modillioned cornice, and
pierced parapet with corner chimneys of brick; round-headed
doorway to the right, with panelled architrave and cornice,
recessed porch with internal steps; 3 cross-windows at ground
floor with panelled jambs and cornices; 4 cross-windows at 1st
floor with moulded architraves and pediments on consoles (4th
window displaced slightly to the right, aligned over the
door); 7-bay arcade of round-headed arched windows at 2nd
floor including a central coved niche with shell canopy; 7
oeil-de-boeuf attic windows. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ8409498236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings