History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute (Former)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ardwick, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4702 / 53°28'12"N

Longitude: -2.2365 / 2°14'11"W

OS Eastings: 384398

OS Northings: 397079

OS Grid: SJ843970

Mapcode National: GBR DLM.D0

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.M16H

Entry Name: Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute (Former)

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200839

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388163

Location: Manchester, M1

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Ardwick

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Brunswick Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8497 GROSVENOR STREET
698-1/20/596 (South side)
03/10/74 Chorlton-On-Medlock
Adult Deaf and Dumb Institute
(former)

GV II

Former Deaf and Dumb Institute. Dated 1878 on central gable;
by John Lowe; altered. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Gothic
style. Two storeys and basement, 3 bays, symmetrical, with
gabled centre; raked sills, frieze over ground floor inscribed
"ADULT" "DEAF & DUMB" "INSTITUTE", corner pilasters to 1st
floor, central gable with kneelers and apex cross, parapets to
the outer bays. The centre has a wide doorway with large
2-centred arched head moulded in 3 orders, carved imposts, a
hoodmould and carved shield with open hand, and a wrought-iron
lamp bracket over this; at 1st floor a large 2-centred arch
containing a pedestal with sculpture of the Good Shepherd
under a cusped and gabled canopy and flanked by arched lights
and roundels, raised lettering above on either side "A:D"
"1878", and in the gable 3 very small lancets under a
semi-circular relieving arch. The outer bays have coupled
2-centred arched windows to ground floor and 2-centred arched
windows to 1st floor with 2 arched lights and a quatrefoil in
the head, with hoodmoulds and gablets above. Gable chimneys.
Forms group with Grosvnor Picture Palace to right (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8439897079

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.