This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.02 / 51°1'12"N
Longitude: -4.2048 / 4°12'17"W
OS Eastings: 245454
OS Northings: 126832
OS Grid: SS454268
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4LT
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.3PL
Entry Name: 4 and 4a, Bridgeland Street
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200874
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375738
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/24 (North side)
08/11/49 Nos.4 AND 4A
Large house, now offices and shop. 1692, remodelled externally
and in part of interior in early and mid C19; C20 addition at
rear. Solid rendered walls; rear wing has a small patch of old
brickwork (now painted) in ground storey. Slate roof. 2
panelled red brick chimneys (rebuilt in C20): one on
right-hand end of ridge, the other off-centre to left.
3-rooms wide and 2-rooms deep; rear wing to left, almost
certainly original; ground storey has 2 shops at front with
entrance-passage between them, leading to staircase in rear
left-hand corner of main range.
2 storeys with garret. 6-window front, the upper storey
covered with rusticated render; window-heads marked to
resemble voussoirs. Ground storey has early or mid C19
doorcase in third bay from left, with matching shop front
(inserted after 1924) at either side. Wooden doorcase having
attached columns and entablature with modillioned cornice;
panelled reveals. Door has 4 raised panels; cobweb fanlight
over. Shop fronts flanked by Doric pilasters supporting
entablature with modillioned cornice. Upper-storey windows
have 8-paned sashes with thick glazing-bars, set in slightly
recessed box-frames. Modillioned eaves-cornice. Shaped
rainwater-head, possibly original, under eaves in centre. 3
dormers with hipped slate roofs; 2-light wood casements, each
light with 6 panes and pointed head. Rear slope of roof has 2
dormers matching those at the front. Rear wing has modillioned
eaves-cornice similar to that at the front.
INTERIOR: shop to right has early C19 moulded cornice and 2
reeded doorframes with flowers carved in top corners. Shop to
left has moulded cornice, possibly original. Room in rear wing
has panelled shutters. Entrance-passage has panelled dado and
moulded cornice. Round arch at rear, and another leading into
stair compartment, both with moulded imposts. Open-well wooden
staircase rising to garret has close strings with pulvinated
moulding,twisted balusters,square newels with flat moulded
caps; flat handrail ramped up to them at the landings. Plain
Second-storey middle front room has coved foliated cornice.
Ceiling with deep moulded ribs; quatrefoil in centre with
shaped panel in each corner. 2-panelled bolection-moulded door
(re-set). Room to right has ogee-moulded box-cornice. Windows
have panelled shutters; below each one an ovolo-moulded panel,
and between the windows a raised, bolection-moulded
Left-hand front room has box-cornice; 2-panelled
bolection-moulded door with shaped H-hinges; it is entered
from staircase by a small lobby with moulded cornice; fixed
cupboard with bolection-moulded panelled doors and (inside)
old wooden coat-pegs. All 3 front rooms have carved wooden
chimneypieces, probably early C20.
Room in rear wing refurbished mid C19. Enriched cornice and
ceiling-boss. Panelled shutters. White marble chimneypiece
with iron grate; coloured patterned tiles on jambs and hearth.
Roofs of both main range and wing have heavy, boxed-in
For a photograph of the front before the insertion of shops,
see Richardson and Gill, (bib). The ground storey was then
rusticated and the windows had 8-paned sashes, as in the upper
This was a Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased in
1692 to Christopher Pollard, merchant. The lease changed hands
in 1704, 1714 and 1727.
(Thorp J: Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer
Conference: 1987-; Richardson AE: Regional Architecture of the
West of England: 1924-: P.88).
Listing NGR: SS4545426832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings