This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0199 / 51°1'11"N
Longitude: -4.2065 / 4°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 245339
OS Northings: 126822
OS Grid: SS453268
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J45P
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.31X
Entry Name: 13, Bridgeland Street
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375745
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/33 (North side)
House, now public house. 1692, the facade and parts of the
interior remodelled early or mid C19. Solid rendered walls,
probably of brick and stone underneath. Slate roof. Rendered
chimney at left-hand end of front ridge.
Plan of 2 rooms wide, probably with central entrance-passage
originally; rear wing on left, with staircase at the front and
kitchen behind. Early or mid C19 wing on right.
3 storeys. 3-window range with centre doorway. Latter has
attached, plain-shafted Doric columns, panelled reveals and
entablature; 6-panelled door with brass knocker.
Ground-storey windows are canted, flat-topped wooden bays with
reeded half-columns between the lights, these supporting
entablatures with bracketed cornices; 8-paned sashes in the
middle, 6-paned ones at the sides. Upper-storey windows have
eared architraves, those to second storey moulded; bracketed
sills to third storey. 8-paned sashes to both storeys. Whole
front flanked by raised quoins. Bracketed eaves-cornice. Rear
windows have mostly barred sashes, some with margin-panes;
stair windows similar, one with engraved glass in
INTERIOR: ground-storey rooms mainly amalgamated to form
restaurant. Right-hand front room has original box-cornice on
3 sides. Kitchen has complete original moulded cornice. Wide
fireplace in rear wall with moulded wooden cornice; at either
side, high up, cupboards with sunk, bolection-moulded panelled
doors and hinges. Other ground-floor rooms have early or mid
C19 cornices. Original wooden dog-leg staircase, rising from
ground to top floor: closed, pulvinated strings, stout turned
balusters, square newels with flat moulded caps, flat moulded
The first-floor front rooms have early or mid C19 cornices;
the right-hand room has a wooden chimneypiece, probably of
C1900, with original cast-iron grate and green-tiled surround.
All 3 third-storey rooms have 6-panelled doors; that in left
front room with 2-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that to right
with raised-and-fielded, one-fillet ovolo-moulded panels, that
to wing with ogee-moulded panels.
Right-hand front room has early or mid C19 chimneypiece with
This was a Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased to
Richard Smith on 20.3.1692/3. Smith appears to have died in
1704, and his widow, Mary, took out a new lease in 1705.
(Bideford Bridge Trust Surveys: A1/12).
Listing NGR: SS4533926822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings