This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0163 / 51°0'58"N
Longitude: -4.2068 / 4°12'24"W
OS Eastings: 245305
OS Northings: 126419
OS Grid: SS453264
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.JB3P
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.GXR
Entry Name: 18, Buttgarden Street
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375779
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BUTTGARDEN STREET
842-1/6/66 (West side)
House and veterinary surgery. 1900. By RT Hookway of Bideford.
Solid rendered walls. Slate roof. 3 red-brick chimneys on
ridge, 1 in centre and 1 at either end; the 2 right-hand
chimneys have round pots.
3 storeys. Broad front, of 2-window range. Windows are
generally of 3 lights, the second-storey windows taking the
form of flat-topped canted bays.
To right of ground storey the pattern is varied to insert a
cart-entrance with a single-light window to right of it;
cart-entrance has 4-paned fanlight and recessed double
At extreme left-hand end is a 6-panelled door with fanlight
containing coloured leaded glass; patterned iron gate
immediately in front of it, designed to be used when the door
is left open.
All ground-storey openings have segmental arches with moulded
archivolts, these dropping down at either side and continued
across the front as a bandcourse.
Windows have sashes with horns, the window to right and the
middle light of that to left with margin-panes. Bays to second
storey have rounded bases and are finished with entablatures,
the cornices continued across the front; blocking-course
above, rising to a shallow point over the middle light. Sashes
with horns, the middle lights with margin-panes. Third-storey
windows have wooden mullions and transoms; heads and
bandcourse matching those in the ground storey, but with the
addition of keystones.
Above each of them is a triangular gable with moulded
bargeboards, breaking through the prominent eaves cornice;
latter is coved at each end. Sills linked in all 3 storeys by
broad bands. Square rainwater-pipes at either end of front and
in centre, these having decorated clamps and heads.
Frances Parsons, veterinary surgeon, was at this address in
1870. By 1902 he had been replaced by William Ascott, MRCVS,
for the erection of whose 'dwelling house and horse repository
in Buttgarden Street' RT Hookway & Sons, FIAS, had invited
tenders in 1900. Occupies a prominent location at the entrance
to a well-preserved C18 and C19 street. Included for group
(Morrises Directory for Devonshire: 1870-: P.355; Bideford
Weekly Gazette: 5.6.1900: P.4; Kelly's Directories:
Devonshire: 1902-: P.72).
Listing NGR: SS4530526419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings