This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0177 / 51°1'3"N
Longitude: -4.2054 / 4°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 245404
OS Northings: 126571
OS Grid: SS454265
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4H8
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.9FW
Entry Name: Lloyds Bank
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375813
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 HIGH STREET
842-1/5/100 (South side)
Nos.5 AND 6
Bank. 1892 by Arnold Thorne. Squared, brownish stone rubble
with granite ashlar plinth and dressings of limestone
(possibly Beer stone), the latter occupying most of the ground
storey. Slate roof. No chimneys visible from street. Classical
style with Tudor elements.
2 storeys with garret; 3-window front to High Street with
6-window return to Allhalland Street. Main ground-storey front
and part of return front divided into bays by half-fluted
Doric pilasters supporting and entablature.
Doorway in left-hand bay to High Street round-arched with
moulded archivolt springing from panelled and moulded imposts.
Linking the imposts is stone panel incised with the word BANK;
on the frieze above is another panel carved with foliage.
The other bays contain small-paned metal windows of design
reminiscent of Venetian windows. Second-storey windows plain
with limestone surrounds, those to High Street with 2
mullioned lights. Fronts finished with a moulded cornice and
tall parapet, from which rise 2 large triangular dormer
gables, one to each front.
Gable to High Street contains a pair of windows surmounted by
a single segmental pediment; that to Allhalland Street has a
Venetian window. At the left-hand end of the High Street
front, above the doorway, the parapet is replaced by a
circular panel with date 1892; triangular pediment on top,
scrolls and panelled pedestals at either side.
In centre of Allhalland Street front the ground storey has 2
windows with Doric columns as mullions: that to right of 6
lights, that to left of 2 lights. Small-paned glazing with
metal bars. Upper-storey windows are of 2 lights with stone
mullion; left-hand window of each storey has small-paned metal
casements, the other plain wooden sashes. Rainwater pipe with
At left-hand end of this front is a gabled, 1-window staircase
projection, wholly of limestone on a granite plinth. Ground
storey has round-arched opening with hollow jambs; recessed
doorway set in a shaped granite frame and with panelled door.
Upper-storey windows have moulded sills, architraves and
cornices, that in second storey also with keystone and
INTERIOR: only banking hall in ground storey inspected. This
has C20 glazed partitions, but original cornices and square
columns with enriched capitals survive.
Listing NGR: SS4540326568
Other nearby listed buildings