This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0173 / 51°1'2"N
Longitude: -4.2075 / 4°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 245260
OS Northings: 126530
OS Grid: SS452265
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J9XK
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.8NM
Entry Name: 12, Market Place
Listing Date: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375871
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 MARKET PLACE
842-1/5/160 (North side)
Former inn, later a restaurant and bakery, now shop. Probably
early or mid C19, partly remodelled late C19.
Solid rendered front. Slate roof. Red-brick chimney with
cream-brick bands and cap (probably including some terracotta)
at each end of ridge; cap of left-hand chimney removed.
3 storeys; 4-window range. Ground storey has late C19 shop
front with cart-entrance to left, the whole under a
deeply-projecting wooden box-cornice.
Shop front has 2 display windows on bases of green glazed
brick (partly over-painted), canted in the centre towards a
recessed glazed door with solid moulded panel at the bottom.
Display windows have shafts with moulded capitals at the
angles, these having small brackets rising to the window-tops.
Shop door has a shaped wooden cresting along the base of a
plain fanlight and there is a similar feature forming a fringe
along the opening to the street. Behind the fringe is a
panelled wooden ceiling. Doorstep has coloured mosaic with
inscription: FRIENDSHIP'S CAFE. Cart-entrance has panelled
Upper storeys flanked by pilaster-strips with horizontal
channelling; cutting across them is a plain raised band above
the second storey. Windows mostly have sashes with horns and
margin-panes, those in second storey with a shaped and
perforated fringe on brackets at the top of the opening. Third
window from left in second storey has French windows, each
leaf with 2 panes. Right-hand window takes the form of a
canted wooden bay in second storey and a 2-light sash in third
storey; former has entablature with cornice on paired
brackets, the middle sashes having an extra upright
glazing-bar in the centre. Deeply-projecting eaves-cornice on
INTERIOR: shop has 2 fluted columns, probably of iron. In
1989, white marble chimneypiece on first floor; coloured glass
in staircase window. Earlier features may by hidden under
plaster. Included for group value.
(Laithwaite M: Report to Devon County Council: 1989-: 9.11.89;
Ridley: Ridley's Illustrated Bideford Family Almanack:
1878-1880; Wilson: Almanack for Bideford: 1888-1898; Kelly's
Directories: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1919-1939).
Listing NGR: SS4526026530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings