This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.522 / 50°31'19"N
Longitude: -3.7698 / 3°46'11"W
OS Eastings: 274635
OS Northings: 70627
OS Grid: SX746706
Mapcode National: GBR QG.VH8J
Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZP.C4H
Entry Name: Byland
Listing Date: 1 September 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375964
Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Ashburton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 77 ASHBURTON
Courtyard of farmbuildings incorporating barn and linhays. C18. Stone rubble, with C20 weatherboarding to linhay elevations facing yard. Hipped roofs covered with corrugated iron. Courtyard plan with linhays on SW (7 bay) sides, enclosing wall to SE side and 8-bay threshing barn with S outshut to NE side. One storey with loft. Timber lintels over wide doorways on SW and NE sides, both providing access to central yard. 1 storey with loft. Courtyard elevations have monolithic granite posts to linhays. C18 collar truss roofs with face-pegged collars and halved and pegged apexes: linhay to SW side has jointed crucks to principals facing yard.
HISTORY: Byland seems to have originated as a farmstead, and is shown with a house on an Ashburton map of 1605. In 1840 the tithe apportionment referred to it simply as' Court Field and Barn' and the tithe map shows it in its present form as an outfarm. A good example of a complete C18 courtyard group of farmbuildings.
Listing NGR: SX7463570627
Other nearby listed buildings