History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hele House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5189 / 50°31'7"N

Longitude: -3.7747 / 3°46'29"W

OS Eastings: 274279

OS Northings: 70292

OS Grid: SX742702

Mapcode National: GBR QG.VN0V

Mapcode Global: FRA 27ZP.H6Z

Entry Name: Hele House

Listing Date: 10 May 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 375987

Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ashburton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashburton

Listing Text


ASHBURTON

SX7470 HELE
849-1/5/240 Hele House
10/05/73

GV II

Formerly known as: Lower Hele.
Large house, now sub-divided. Late C18, considerably extended
mid C19. Solid rendered walls. Slated roof, hipped to left.
Rendered chimneys. Double-fronted, double-depth house with
centre entrance hall and staircase wing at either side, that
to left believed to be late C18. Two storeys with garret. 6
windows wide. Main body of house has centre doorway with
moulded frame and cornice. 2-storeyed bow window to right with
6 and 4-paned sashes. Square bay window to left of ground
storey; 6 and 4-paned sashes, Grecian incised decoration,
bracketed cornice. 2 6-paned sash windows in upper storey.
Bracketed eaves-cornice. Wing to left has 6-paned sashes.
Interior: main body of house has wooden staircase with thin
square balusters and shaped step-ends. 1973 list refers to
arched stair window with interlaced bars at head. The 2 front
rooms have good marble chimneypieces. Door with incised Greek
decoration in left wing. Interior only partly inspected. House
was known as Lower Hele until at least mid C19. In 1846 a
newspaper advertisement referred to it as "erected a few years
since" but left unfinished.
(The Times: 1.6.1846: P12).


Listing NGR: SX7427970292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.