History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouse at Sx 7568 6970 warehouse at Sx 7568 6970 (Former Railway Goods Shed)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5139 / 50°30'50"N

Longitude: -3.7547 / 3°45'17"W

OS Eastings: 275685

OS Northings: 69706

OS Grid: SX756697

Mapcode National: GBR QJ.214N

Mapcode Global: FRA 370P.YWH

Entry Name: Warehouse at Sx 7568 6970 warehouse at Sx 7568 6970 (Former Railway Goods Shed)

Listing Date: 22 September 1972

Last Amended: 1 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376003

Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ashburton

Built-Up Area: Ashburton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashburton

Listing Text


ASHBURTON

SX7569 CHULEY ROAD
849-1/10/22 (West side (off))
22/09/72 Warehouse at SX 7568 6970 (former
railway goods shed)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST LAWRENCE LANE
(West side)
Goods shed of Dart Valley Railway to
north west)

II

Former railway goods shed, now warehouse. Probably about 1872
with minor mid C20 addition. Stone rubble with red-brick
arches. Slated roof. Stone chimney with red-brick dressings on
SW corner. Single-storeyed building with large, opposing
round-arched wagon entrances in N and S gable walls; that to N
with sliding doors. Similar opening and doors for offloading
goods on W side; pent-roofed wooden canopy above. Two 6-paned
windows on E side. Boxed eaves-cornices; plain bargeboards.
Small red-brick addition (probably an office) at SW corner.
Interior: Kingpost-and-ridge roof. The Buckfastleigh, Totnes
and South Devon Railway, a branch of the main line from Exeter
to Plymouth, was opened in 1872. It ran from Totnes to
Ashburton. The line was absorbed by the Great Western Railway
in 1897 and closed in 1962. None of the other railway
buildings at Ashburton are listed.
(Kingdom AR: GWR: The Ashburton Branch: Oxford: 1977-: 6-7).


Listing NGR: SX7568569706

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.