This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5144 / 50°30'51"N
Longitude: -3.757 / 3°45'25"W
OS Eastings: 275526
OS Northings: 69761
OS Grid: SX755697
Mapcode National: GBR QJ.20JK
Mapcode Global: FRA 370P.XV0
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201040
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376188
Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13
Civil Parish: Ashburton
Built-Up Area: Ashburton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX7569 WEST STREET
849-1/10/210 (South side)
07/08/51 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Early or mid C15 (tower before 1449); restored
by G E Street 1882-3. Stone rubble with granite dressings;
windows in limestone, possibly Bath stone. Slated roof.
Chancel, N and S chancel chapels, N and S transepts, nave,
four bay N and S aisles, N porch, W tower. Vestry E of
chancel; lobby and choristers' room to S. Perpendicular
traceried windows, much restored in C19. Setback buttresses.
Battlemented parapets. 5 sided stair turret at W end of each
aisle. Doorway to porch has pointed, double-chamfered arch
springing from rounded half-columns. West tower (the finest
feature) about 21 m high, rises in 3 stages with setback
buttresses diminishing in thickness at each stage. 5 sided
stair turret on N face. Heavily moulded W door (restored) with
3 much restored niches above containing C19 figures.
Battlemented parapets with pinnacles. Vestry has 2-light C19 E
window surrounded by late C18 and early C19 memorials to the
Interior: chancel and nave have arcades of octagonal granite
columns supporting double-chamfered pointed granite arches;
columns have hollowed faces to the shafts, moulded limestone
(Beer stone?) capitals. Trefoil-headed piscinas in chancel
chapels and transepts. Wagon roofs over chancel, nave, and
transepts. Cambered aisle and chancel-chapel roofs with
intersecting beams and carved bosses; beams moulded on S side,
carved on N side. One of the bosses is said to carry the
letter L for Bishop Lacey (1420-56). Two fine C18 brass
candelabras in nave. Oak reredos 1928 by Herbert Read. Chancel
screen 1884. Pulpit by Harry Hems of Exeter, late C19 or early
C20. Marble font, 1840. In N transept a painting of the
crucifixion by Legassick, a Devon artist; part of former
(The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition):
London: 1989-: 131-2).
Listing NGR: SX7552769759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings