This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1085 / 54°6'30"N
Longitude: -3.2208 / 3°13'14"W
OS Eastings: 320281
OS Northings: 468756
OS Grid: SD202687
Mapcode National: GBR 5NYX.HZ
Mapcode Global: WH72H.HZHR
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388576
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2068NW ST GEORGE'S SQUARE
708-1/14/138 (North side)
06/05/76 Church of St George
Church. 1859-61. By EG Paley, patrons the Duke of Buccleuch
and Duke of Devonshire; north aisle of 1867; chapel added
1883, patron Sir James Ramsden. Dry-jointed slate with red
ashlar sandstone quoins and dressings; graduated slate roofs.
Orientated north-east/south-west; ritual orientation used
here. 5-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles, south porch,
west porch and 3-stage tower at west end of south aisle; 2-bay
chancel with south chapel, north organ chamber and vestry.
Gothic Revival style with Geometrical tracery. Plinth; offset
buttresses between bays. South aisle: porch to bay 2 has
clasping buttresses and pointed arch with hoodmould beneath
steep gable with copings and cross. Pointed-arched windows of
3 and 2 lights with hoodmoulds; string course beneath ashlar
parapet with water spouts and roll-moulded copings.
Tower: offsets below each stage; diagonal buttresses with
offsets and gablets; octagonal stair turret at south-east
corner. Cusped 2-light window with hoodmould to west side;
small 2-light window above; paired 2-light belfry openings
with louvres and with slit beneath triangular hoodmould.
Cornice with ball-flowers supports oversailing, embattled
parapet with roll-moulded merlons. Stair turret has square
base with trefoil-headed door to west; offsets, string courses
and slit windows; blind cusped lancets and cornice beneath
West porch: door in south side with colonnettes, 2-centred
arch and hoodmould. Inner door with ovolo-moulded, pointed
arch and hoodmould on angels. West gables of nave and north
aisle have offset buttresses and 4-light windows with
differing tracery; hoodmoulds, ashlar gable copings.
North aisle: pilaster buttresses divide four 2-light windows
and one of 3 lights. Chancel: 5-light east window beneath
gable with ashlar copings and cross; lower south-aisle gable
with 3-light window.
South chapel: under same roofline as aisle; octagonal turret
at the junction has blind tracery, gablets and crocketed spire
with finial; 2-light windows and parapet with quatrefoils.
Apsidal north vestry has link to aisle with 3-light mullioned
windows, another link to former vicarage (now St George's
House, Salthouse Road (qv)); vestry has corbelled stack with 2
INTERIOR: north aisle now forms church hall. Arcades have
alternate octagonal piers and round piers with foliage-carved
capitals; double-chamfered arches and hoodmoulds with
head-carved stops. Nave roof: arched-braced, collared trusses
with cusped wind-braces. South aisle has scissor-braced common
rafters. Chancel and south chapel (The Ramsden Chapel) are
lined in red ashlar sandstone. Chancel arch has trefoiled
responds and carved capitals to cavetto/ovolo moulded arch;
north arch to the organ chamber with recess and niche to east;
2 arches on foiled pier to the chapel, sedilia to east; carved
scissor-braced trusses. Chapel has arcading around east end
with colonnettes, war memorials in 3 of the niches and
hoodmould with head-carved stops; wooden, vaulted ceiling. C19
pews. Stained glass to east and west windows; 2 windows to
south aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster. Built as the
parish church for the new town of Barrow.
Listing NGR: SD2028168756
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings