History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Georges Church of England Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1089 / 54°6'32"N

Longitude: -3.2194 / 3°13'9"W

OS Eastings: 320376

OS Northings: 468805

OS Grid: SD203688

Mapcode National: GBR 5NYX.TT

Mapcode Global: WH72H.JZ5D

Entry Name: St Georges Church of England Primary School

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388593

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St George

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barrow in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2068NW SCHOOL STREET
708-1/14/133 (North East side)
06/05/76 St George's Church of England
Primary School
(Formerly Listed as:
SCHOOL STREET
St George's School)

GV II

School. 1849. For the Furness Railway Company. Red sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated slate roof. Single
storey, 3:3:1:1 bays; bays 1-3 and bay 7 are projecting
gables, entrance in right return; gabled wing to rear.
Rock-faced quoins. Central recess has 3 square-headed windows
with later casements; blind 3-light mullioned window in
half-dormer. Left gable has projecting sills and quoined
reveals to 3 pointed-arched windows with later casements, the
central window larger; shaped kneelers and moulded gable
copings. Narrower right gable has Tudor-arched window,
matching kneelers and copings and trefoil in corbelled base
for a bell turret. Tudor-arched window to end bay on right.
Right return: altered doorway has concrete lintel beneath
original Tudor-arch; coped gable with terracotta cross. Link
block set back on right adjoins No.2 Salthouse Road (qv).
Built for Furness Railway employees' children. Formed part of
the nucleus of the new town based on the railway terminus in
St George's Square.


Listing NGR: SD2037668805

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.