This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1728 / 54°10'22"N
Longitude: -3.1513 / 3°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 324940
OS Northings: 475836
OS Grid: SD249758
Mapcode National: GBR 6NF5.JX
Mapcode Global: WH72B.KCLX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388615
Location: Lindal and Marton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA12
Civil Parish: Lindal and Marton
Built-Up Area: Lindal in Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Lindal and Marton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2475 THE GREEN, Lindal In Furness
708-1/9/232 (West side)
Church of St Peter
Church. 1885-86. By Ewan Christian (Pevsner) or James Murchie
of Carlisle (archives). Red sandstone with graduated green
4-bay nave with south porch and lean-to chapels; 2-bay chancel
with north vestry and south organ chamber in transepts. Gothic
Revival style; plate tracery; steep gables, all with ashlar
copings and crosses. Nave: rock-faced plinth, buttresses with
offsets between bays. Gabled porch with moulded, pointed arch,
impost string course and hoodmould. Bays 2 & 3 each have 3
lancets, 2 trefoils and quatrefoil beneath pointed hoodmould;
cavetto-moulded eaves band. Chapel to bay 4 lit by 3 separate
lancets. North windows as south.
West end: angled buttresses; pointed doorway and string course
beneath large 3-light window with cinquefoil beneath
hoodmould; gable slit. Over bay 4 a slate-hung and louvred
belfry with pyramidical roof rising as an octagonal spirelet.
Chancel: lower; transepts each have 3-light window of stepped
lancets under hoodmould; bay 2 blind. Buttresses flank 3-light
east window with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould.
INTERIOR: double-chamfered arches into the chapels; nave roof
with 3 bow-string trusses and scissor-braced common rafters.
Twin columns on corbels support keeled chancel arch with
floral carving and hoodmould. Chancel: boarded, barrel-vault
Original fitments: pews, communion rail, octagonal wooden
pulpit with tracery and stone plinth, quatrefoil font on
granite colonnettes. Foundation stone laid 11.7.1885,
consecrated on same date 1886. The cost of 3,600 pounds met by
the Duke of Buccleuch and others (Church guide). Buccleuch
archives contain detailed correspondence with James Murchie of
Carlisle regarding the building of the Church. He may have
acted as executive architect to Christian but Murchie's final
account refers to 'my designs'.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London:
1969-: 168; Buccleuch Papers: James Murchie/Accounts:
Listing NGR: SD2494075836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings