This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3531 / 50°21'11"N
Longitude: -4.453 / 4°27'10"W
OS Eastings: 225594
OS Northings: 53231
OS Grid: SX255532
Mapcode National: GBR NG.W20R
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K3.H0F
Entry Name: The Fisherman's Arms
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376408
Location: Looe, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Looe
Built-Up Area: Looe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Martin with St Nicholas, Looe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX2453 HIGHER MARKET STREET, East Looe
857-1/4/24 (North East side)
19/03/51 The Fisherman's Arms
Merchant's house, now public house. 1611 date in plasterwork
to 2nd floor left-hand chamber.
MATERIALS: render on timber-frame to steep pair of front
gables carried on moulded oak corbels; dry slate roofs;
painted rubble to side wall on right, rubble external lateral
stack to right-hand return and rubble stack with brick shaft
to rear gable.
PLAN: deep plan including rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with 2nd floor partly in roof space;
2-window range; wide C17 3-light (internally ovolo-moulded)
mullioned window within moulded architraves and with later
casements with glazing bars to 2nd-floor gables; early C19
16-pane hornless sashes within moulded architraves to 1st
floor. Ground floor has original central chamfered oak doorway
with unusual original door with 2 small panels within 2 large
panels flanked by original 2-light mullioned windows with
fixed casements with glazing bars; early/mid C18 lights with
thick glazing bars on the left; early/mid C18 lights with
thick glazing bars on the left; late C18 or early C19 lights
on the right. Right-hand return has C20 windows except for
mid/late C19 8-pane sash towards right with C20 horned copy on
INTERIOR: original features include: front room: chamfered
axial beams (3 bays) and joists; short section of original
moulded plank and muntin screen right of entrance and some
panelling visible under ovolo-moulded window on right. Central
at rear of front range is pair of winder stairs with ships'
spars as newels. Front attics have parts of original roof
trusses visible; left-hand attic has rare original plasterwork
to overmantle, including 1611 date. Original roof structure to
rear wing on right with lap-dovetail collar joints to trusses.
Rear left-hand parallel wing has early C19 roof structure with
pegged collars (C16 or early C17 12-panel studded door stored
in this attic at time of survey).
Listing NGR: SX2559453231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings