This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3529 / 50°21'10"N
Longitude: -4.453 / 4°27'10"W
OS Eastings: 225592
OS Northings: 53213
OS Grid: SX255532
Mapcode National: GBR NG.W20T
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K3.H0H
Entry Name: The Old Guildhall (Now Museum)
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376409
Location: Looe, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Looe
Built-Up Area: Looe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Martin with St Nicholas, Looe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX2453 HIGHER MARKET STREET, East Looe
857-1/4/25 (South West side)
19/03/51 The Old Guildhall (now Museum)
Guildhall, now Museum. Probably C16, slightly remodelled C17.
MATERIALS: rubble walls with chamfered oak lintels, some of
which are original; part grouted and part slurried rag slate
roof with 7 original crested clay ridge tiles; truncated rear
PLAN: rectangular 1st-floor hall plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with street level built up at the front;
2-window range. Late C17 or 1705 3-light oak mullioned windows
to 1st floor (front and rear); rubble string just above 1st
floor sill level; many original or C17 oak lintels.
Ground-floor windows have C20 copy outer frames; leaded lights
to 1st floor; fixed lights with glazing bars to ground floor.
Above ground-floor lintels are the truncated remains of
original corbels whichprobably originally projected to carry
pentice roof with string course as weathering. Original oak
doorway with shouldered head central to fenestration; C20
panelled copy door, similar original doorway to 1st-floor left
with original 9-panel door. Flight of external stone steps
with pentice roof up to open gabled porch with town pillory
used as collar. Left-hand return has 2 small barred windows.
INTERIOR: original oak roof structure with high morticed
collars, trenched purlins and slightly curved truss feet
carried on wallplates; canopied plaster ceiling to left-hand
end with simple cove to follow shape of trusses; corbelled
fireplace hood with late C19 or C20 granite corbels. Ground
floor has original chamfered joists and inner ends visible of
probable pentice corbels. At 1st-floor right is the 1705
magistrates bench with bolection-moulded panelling and a
plaster coat of arms above.
Listing NGR: SX2559253213
Other nearby listed buildings