This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3528 / 50°21'9"N
Longitude: -4.4556 / 4°27'20"W
OS Eastings: 225402
OS Northings: 53201
OS Grid: SX254532
Mapcode National: GBR NG.W1BR
Mapcode Global: FRA 18K3.FZ5
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376467
Location: Looe, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Looe
Built-Up Area: Looe
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Martin with St Nicholas, Looe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX2453 WEST LOOE SQUARE, West Looe
857-1/4/118 (South East side)
19/03/51 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church, later a guildhall and borough prison then a
school. C12 or C13, altered probably C16; restored 1852 and
MATERIALS: rubble walls, dry slate roofs with some C17 crested
clay ridge tiles over chancel; tower with pyramidal roof
surmounted by finiala with weather vane; brick stack over
PLAN: nave/chancel under one roof; original west tower later
heightened; later north aisle over former prison with
vestry/boiler house at its east end.
EXTERIOR: possibly C12 round-headed hollow-chamfered west
doorway of volcanic stone and similar smaller unchamfered
doorway to return wall of tower, both near the angle; C13
hollow chamfered lancet above west doorway. C19 windows: 2
granite lancets to the south aisle (and evidence for former
south doorway); three pairs of freestone lancets to north
wall; boiler house with pair of mortared lancets on the left
and mortared pointed doorway; blocked doorway to the right of
aisle; 3-light lancet window to east wall of aisle. Chancel
has 3-light traceried east window and granite 2-light north
window with cinquefoil heads to the lights.
INTERIOR: plastered walls; C16 oak waggon roof to chancel and
roof probably of same date over nave with 5 bays of oak
trusses with morticed and cranked collars and curved truss
feet carried on wallplates (similar to roof of Old Guildhall
qv, East Looe). 3-bay arcade between nave and north aisle with
posts and braces (knees) of reused ships' timbers. North aisle
roof has 6 bays with C19 scissor trusses; pointed tower arch;
some slate flooring by west doorway and C14 trefoil-headed
freestone piscina to chancel.
FITTINGS: round freestone font in C12/C13 style with cable and
dog-tooth carving to rim and carved foliage to base of bowl;
C17 carved oak chair; C20 pulpit to John Gustave Webb and 1933
pews with carved ends.
(The Buildings of England: Radcliffe E and Pevsner N:
Cornwall: 1970-: 106).
Listing NGR: SX2540253201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings