History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of Four Headstones to South of South Aisle, Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Lynton and Lynmouth, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2296 / 51°13'46"N

Longitude: -3.8337 / 3°50'1"W

OS Eastings: 272065

OS Northings: 149419

OS Grid: SS720494

Mapcode National: GBR L1.2W1F

Mapcode Global: VH4M9.HCN7

Entry Name: Group of Four Headstones to South of South Aisle, Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376493

Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

Built-Up Area: Lynton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lynton

Listing Text


LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 CHURCH HILL, Lynton
858-1/4/15 (North side)
Group of four headstones to south of
south aisle, Church of St Mary

GV II

Four headstones. C17-C19. Stone or slate. The stones of
special interest are scattered, but contained in 3 parallel
rows which lie to the S of the S aisle, and E of the S porch
of the church; they are described from N to S, in each row,
and from W to E. (i) In first row, approx 2m from aisle wall,
to Walter Fry, d.1749. In friable stone, to haunched arched
head, the inscription badly eroded.
(ii) Immediately S of the last. To David Knight, d.1748.
Friable stone, haunched arched head. There is an inscribed
verse below the name and date.
(iii) At the end of this line, adjoining the churchyard
boundary wall. To Elizabeth Squier (sic), d.164-. A very thin
square-headed stone, a portion broken off, top left. The
inscription, in fine serif capitals, is still very distinct
and well preserved. This is the earliest monument recorded in
the churchyard.
(iv) Penultimate stone in this row. To Philip Squire, d.1786.
A well-preserved slate headstone with haunched arched head and
raised margin. A naive cherub head with stylised wings is set
above an oval panel with scalloped surround, and finely
incised inscription, which faces E.


Listing NGR: SS7206549419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.