This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2311 / 51°13'51"N
Longitude: -3.8302 / 3°49'48"W
OS Eastings: 272309
OS Northings: 149580
OS Grid: SS723495
Mapcode National: GBR L1.2PJ2
Mapcode Global: VH4M9.KBG2
Entry Name: Rock House Hotel
Listing Date: 19 July 1950
Last Amended: 9 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376497
Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth
Built-Up Area: Lynton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Countisbury with Lynmouth St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH
SS7149 EASTERN BEACH, Lynmouth
858-1/4/68 Rock House Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
Rock House, Manor Estate)
Hotel. Early to mid C19. Rendered, slate roofs. A 2-part
building, the slightly earlier range a single-depth 2-storey
block to gable ends. Attached to this at its E corner is the
main range facing the gardens, an L-plan block with
low-pitched hipped roof and deep eaves, entered at the
junction between the 2 buildings, and with 2 principal rooms;
this range has a thatched verandah on 3 sides. A 2-storey
flat-roofed range has been added in the outer angle between
the 2 units.
Earlier range in 2 storeys, with 3 windows, all 2-light
small-pane cast-iron casements with central mullion, 4-centred
heads and Y-tracery; those at first floor in small open
gablets. At each end gable, which has a scalloped barge-board
and terminal drop, is a stack with paired diagonal brick
shafts, and the return facing the river has a large 12-pane
painted replica light above a single-storey extension with
The principal, inland range in 2 storeys, with sashes; the
entrance front has 2+1 twelve-pane above an arched doorway
with C20 door, and two 20-pane. The frontage facing inland has
2 wide-spaced 12-pane above a large 20-pane reaching to floor
level, and a canted bay with French doors and margin bars; the
return, to rear, has two 12-pane above a central canted bay
matching the other. To right is the later insertion.
A thatched verandah roof covers 3 sides of the ground floor,
on small square C20 timber posts, and with the thatch slightly
inflected as 'eyebrows' over the windows on the inland face.
Over the door the thatch has been replaced by a section of
corrugated plastic. A near-central broad brick stack, and
another smaller to the rear.
INTERIOR: part of ground floor only inspected. The 2 principal
rooms, facing SE, retain white marble fireplaces; the room
adjacent to the entry was water damaged in 1993, the other has
a fine scrolled plaster ceiling cornice and central rose, and
the 2 canted bays have panelled linings and soffits. Some
panelled doors in reeded architravres with paterae.
This property, a characteristic example in the Picturesque
style, formerly had more extensive gardens to the SW, but
these were cut back with the realignment of the river bed
following the 1952 flood, and it is now supported by a stone
retaining wall on this side.
Listing NGR: SS7230949580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings