History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel at South Furzehill Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Lynton and Lynmouth, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1891 / 51°11'20"N

Longitude: -3.8233 / 3°49'23"W

OS Eastings: 272677

OS Northings: 144896

OS Grid: SS726448

Mapcode National: GBR L1.5C8M

Mapcode Global: VH4MH.PC4T

Entry Name: Former Chapel at South Furzehill Farm

Listing Date: 3 September 1973

Last Amended: 9 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376536

Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lynmouth

Listing Text


LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS74SW STOCK ROAD, Lynton
858-1/3/47 (South side)
03/09/73 Former Chapel at South Furzehill
Farm
(Formerly Listed as:
LYNTON
FURZEHILL
Former South Furzehill Farmhouse and
remains of Chapel to north)

GV II

Chapel dedicated to St John the Baptist, now outbuilding. Late
medieval, much modified. Rubble, corrugated iron roof.
Single-unit plan space with an attached outshut, approx 20m to
the N of the old farmhouse (qv). The long roof-slope facing
the farmhouse is contained in rough coped gable ends. It is
entered from the S by plank doors, up wide stone steps to the
'nave', which retains no recognisable detail, but has an
opening with wood lintels through a thick wall to the right,
and evidence of blocked openings in the end gable wall and a
small niche; this wall is not bonded to the 2 lateral walls.
There is some transparent corrugated sheeting to the N slope.
The pinnacles at North Furzehill (qv) and Ye Old Cottage (qv),
Barbrook, said to have come from this chapel.
(Chanter JF: History of the Parishes of Lynton and
Countisbury: Exeter: 1907-).


Listing NGR: SS7267744896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.