History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Waiting Room, Cliff Railway

A Grade II Listed Building in Lynton and Lynmouth, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2317 / 51°13'54"N

Longitude: -3.8323 / 3°49'56"W

OS Eastings: 272169

OS Northings: 149656

OS Grid: SS721496

Mapcode National: GBR L1.2NZ2

Mapcode Global: VH4M9.J9DL

Entry Name: Lower Waiting Room, Cliff Railway

Listing Date: 9 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376542

Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

Built-Up Area: Lynton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Countisbury with Lynmouth St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lynton

Listing Text


LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 THE ESPLANADE, Lynmouth
858-1/4/85 (South side)
Lower Waiting Room, Cliff Railway

GV II

Waiting room with attached workshop, at lower end of Cliff
Railway. 1890. Paid for by Sir George Newnes, built by Bob
Jones. Timber-framed, rubble, asbestos-cement slate roof.
A rectangular pavilion with deep projecting decorative gable
to the S side, at the foot of the railway. This front has a
diagonally-boarded gable behind an open truss with curved
braces and barge-board, over a large plate-glass light and
narrower light each side of a framed door with diagonal
planking. The return has 4 similar glazed panels, each with a
flanking narrower light in the upper half, but the first and
third panels have diagonal boarding. The frame members are of
square scantling, with chamfered members to run-out stops at
each junction. The outer gable, facing the Esplanade, has the
diagonal boarding, but is blocked below by a later service
block. To the W of the main pavilion is a small workshop in
rubble, extended by a later lean-to.
INTERIOR: has a concrete floor, and is in 2 bays with a
king-post roof truss with cross-bracing, all the members with
stopped chamfers, as the main framing.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the pavilion is little changed, and still
serves its original purpose. It originally had a tiled roof,
and is similar in style to the Upper Waiting Room, Lee Road
(qv). The railway was opened on Easter Day, 1890. It was
funded by Sir George Newnes, and built by Bob Jones. The
builder's grandson, still working for the railway, says that
"Newnes' money and Jones' brains built Lynton and Lynmouth",
which included this work.


Listing NGR: SS7216949656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.