This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9908 / 51°59'27"N
Longitude: -2.1618 / 2°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 388986
OS Northings: 232499
OS Grid: SO889324
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.09M
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H705
Entry Name: Bell Hotel
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376690
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO83SE CHURCH STREET
859-1/2/110 (North side)
Hotel. Dated in plaster panel above porch "IK 1696", (Jacob
Kingsbury); large C19 or early C20 extensions. The original
building close-studded timber-frame with mid-rails, rendered
panels and underbuild, extensions in painted brick or
rendered, some timber-framing, tile roofs, brick stacks.
PLAN: compact C17 parallel plan and 3-room front range has 3
gables over a double-jettied structure facing E along Church
Street, with single gable returns, and a small wing adjacent
to the Gloucester Road perhaps of this build; entrance at left
end to lobby, with 2 principal heated rooms to the right with
shared stack. Long wing to Mill Street, and large extension to
W, facing the car park.
EXTERIOR: main front in 2 storeys and attic, with small
3-light casements to attic, 3:5:3-light casements with transom
at first floor, and 3-light casement with transom to first bay
of ground floor; to right of door 2 tripartite sashes with
glazing bars. The casement windows have moulded bars and
rectangular leading. In the first bay a broad open-gabled
porch on Doric pilasters and timber panelled cheeks covers an
early 5-panel door under a fanlight. Near the right gable is a
large brick ridge stack with 2 diagonal flues.
The right return gable in box framing with plaster panels is
linked by a canted single-storey flat-roofed unit to a long
C19 two-storey brick gabled wing following the line of Mill
Street. The left return gable is also box-framed above
rendered ground floor, with one casement at first floor, and a
sash at the ground floor.
In the cross-gabled front block all gables have deep soffits.
In Gloucester Road a one-bay rendered wing has a 3-light C18
gabled dormer above a 16-pane sash at first floor, and two C20
lights at ground floor. Its steep tiled roof runs to the ridge
height of the main building, and seems to belong to that
structure in date.
Beyond this a large C19 or early C20 wing with some framing is
linked to the earlier wing by a part-framed 2-storey unit. The
return to the W, towards the car park, has an entrance door
far right, adjacent to a large external eaves stack.
INTERIOR: considerably altered, but retains some C17 work at
the ground-floor level. Roof not inspected. The porch gives to
a large entrance lobby which has C20 panelling and fittings.
To the right the lounge has a chamfered central beam with
added cornice mouldings, open framed partition to the bar, in
square panel pegged framing, possibly the original outer wall,
and a large stone-cheeked fireplace with C19 stone lintel. At
the opposite end of the room are 2 panels of C17 painted wall
decoration under glass. Beyond this a smaller room also has
central chamfered beam, and a C19 stone fireplace with wood
Beyond the lobby is a staircase hall containing a small winder
staircase with stick balustrade. At the head of this stair is
a good C17 plank door.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Bell holds an important position in
Church Street, opposite the Abbey church (qv), and at a slight
offset in the street, so that it faces E along its length.
Probably on the site of a medieval hostelry, it is generally
assumed that this was the original of Phineas Fletcher's house
in Mrs Craik's "John Halifax, Gentleman"; it lies close to the
Abbey Mill (qv) which also features largely in the novel, and
externally presents a fine example of a C17 inn.
Listing NGR: SO8898232502
Other nearby listed buildings