This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9917 / 51°59'30"N
Longitude: -2.1591 / 2°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 389170
OS Northings: 232599
OS Grid: SO891325
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0Y1
Mapcode Global: VH93T.J6FG
Entry Name: 87, Church Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201224
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376721
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 CHURCH STREET
859-1/6/142 (North side)
Small house in row. Early C19 front, C16 rear wing. Painted
Flemish bond brickwork, tile roof, brick stacks.
2 storeys and basement, 1-windowed. 16-pane sash at first
floor, plate glass sash below, both to painted V-joint
voussoirs and stone cill. To left is a 6-panel C19 door under
a deep plain transom-light; there is a slight step down to the
inner glazed door. High coped parapet; large rendered stack to
At back is a long, low 2-storey framed wing, faced in brick,
and with a weatherboarded gable; tile roof, brick stacks.
INTERIOR: although the front half of the building has been
substantially modified, there remain considerable fragments of
the original timber framework in the rear half. At the rear of
the throughway is an early plank and batten door, and heavy
posts remain, including one to the upper floor, chamfered, and
with a jowelled top, carrying a slightly cambered tie-beam.
There were fire hearths to the right in 2 front rooms, set
diagonally. A C18 dogleg stair with square newels and turned
balusters is set transversely; the first-floor landing has
very wide boards.
The rear wall of the main building is in square panel framing;
at the ground floor there is a post to the right of the
throughway, and a C18 doorcase with architrave, and at first
floor a cambered door-head. The front room first-floor has a
2-plank door, probably of the C17.
The cellar stair is the standard 'Tewkesbury' type, with brick
treads faced in timber. The rear half of the cellar has a
segmental brick vault. This was earlier the Farriers' Arms.
Listing NGR: SO8917032599
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings