History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9867 / 51°59'12"N

Longitude: -2.1632 / 2°9'47"W

OS Eastings: 388886

OS Northings: 232041

OS Grid: SO888320

Mapcode National: GBR 1JQ.KWJ

Mapcode Global: VH93T.GB7B

Entry Name: Gatehouse

Listing Date: 25 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376754

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO83SE GLOUCESTER ROAD
859-1/2/173 (West side)
Gatehouse

II

Detached house, formerly toll house. Early C19. Painted
brickwork, slate roof, brick stack. Plain block with octagonal
front to road, low-pitched hipped roof to wide eaves overhang;
small flat-roofed extension, left.
2 storeys; each splayed face to road end has 25-pane sash at
each level, and front has large blocked opening or panel above
16-pane to former door opening. Returns have 25-pane centrally
at first floor, and on S side above door set under extension.
Back has casements. Central unpainted brick stack. INTERIOR
not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the original turnpike of 1756 from Cheltenham
to Tewkesbury, ran W of the site of this toll house, which was
relocated here by 1839; the previous building stood a little
further to the N, at the junction of the present road with
Lower Lode Lane, until 1829.
(Gloucester Society for Industrial Archaeology: Journal: Bayes
J F: Gloucester: 1971-).


Listing NGR: SO8888632041

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.