This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9927 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -2.1577 / 2°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 389266
OS Northings: 232710
OS Grid: SO892327
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.18Y
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K54P
Entry Name: 1, High Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376764
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/181 (West side)
House at end of street row. Early C18. Flemish bond brickwork,
tile roof. A lofty narrow-frontage house with fine brick
front; the body of the building is at an angle, following the
burgage plot line, and returns to Tolzey Lane.
3 storeys, 3 close-set windows. 12-pane sashes, in central bay
to segmental heads, and all to rubbed brick voussoirs with
decorative keystone with cornice, on moulded stone cills.
Ground floor has full-width C20 shop front. Above the stone
modillion cornice is a large blind lunette in a moulded
architrave, in a shaped parapet with moulded stone coping. The
double roof, to a central valley, has hipped ends. Above the
ground floor, centrally, is a clock cantilevered on an ornate
wrought-iron bracket, presented by the Mayor, MC Smart, in
The moulded parapet returns left for approx 4m over a plain
brick wall, with one large 4-pane casement at the ground
floor. Beyond this is a slightly curved section in 3 storeys
to eaves, with two 12-pane sashes at second floor, and at
first floor one sash plus 2 smaller lights to the left.
Ground floor has a larger 12-pane sash to segmental head, a
small square opening above a blocked doorway, and a C20 door
under a large margin-pane transom-light and two C20 lights.
The back is in 3 storeys, 2-windowed: all 12-pane sashes to
voussoirs with fluted keystones and stone cills; at the ground
floor is a wide opening to segmental head over plank door.
INTERIOR not inspected.
A 1900 photograph in the Museum shows an oculus with glazing
bars and 3 urns to the parapet.
Listing NGR: SO8926632710
Other nearby listed buildings