This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9933 / 51°59'35"N
Longitude: -2.1575 / 2°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 389281
OS Northings: 232772
OS Grid: SO892327
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TM9
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K588
Entry Name: Former Swan Hotel
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 20 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201242
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376770
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8932 HIGH STREET
04.03.1952 Former Swan Hotel
(Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET
(West side) No.10 Swan Hotel)
Two retail units, former hotel and coaching house. Mid C18 and early C19. Flemish bond brickwork, rendering, slate roofs. PLAN: in 2 parts, the earlier, formerly with central carriageway, to the right, and the later, to the left. The ground floor, in channelled rendering, is carried across both parts.
EXTERIOR: To the left is a 3-window unit, with 3 storeys, attic, and basement, with 3 dormers to the mansard roof, behind a parapet; 4-pane paired sashes with moulded architrave and mullion boxes.
Second floor has 12-pane sashes (4 panes wide), and at first and second floors are 16-pane sashes, all to good rubbed brick voussoirs and on stone cills. The ground floor, in channelled rendering has 2 large square late C20 shop windows inserted to left, wide segmental-headed doorway inserted to right with window above. Moulded stone cornice, blocking course and coped parapet. There is a large brick stack to each gable.
The earlier section, to the right, is in 3 storeys with basement, 5-windowed, the central bay brought forward one half-brick depth. 9-pane sashes at second floor, 12-pane at first floor, all to brick voussoirs and stone cills, and with exposed boxes. Ground floor has large segmental-headed opening under late C20 flat hood with glazed doors (replacing original carriage entry) and late C20 shop windows to left. At first floor the centre unit is a Palladian window with brick arch and a triple keystone, with paired pilasters to entablature, supported by swept splayed sides. The central light with radial bars is above a door opening to a small balcony with wrought-iron balustrade. Moulded stone cornice, blocking course and coped parapet; the roof not visible from the street.
INTERIOR remodelled C20 with no features of interest noted.
Listing NGR: SO8928132772
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings