History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Fleece

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9935 / 51°59'36"N

Longitude: -2.1574 / 2°9'26"W

OS Eastings: 389290

OS Northings: 232799

OS Grid: SO892327

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TNH

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K5B2

Entry Name: The Old Fleece

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201243

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376772

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/189 (West side)
04/03/52 No.12
The Old Fleece
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
(West side)
No.12
Old Fleece Inn)

GV II*

House in row, formerly the Old Fleece Inn. Early C17. Facade,
much restored in late C19, of close-stud timber-frame with
exposed bracing and lozenge panels, plaster infill, tile roof,
brick stacks.
PLAN: a double-jettied front, substantially restored, to a
very steep roof parallel with the street, and with deep rear
wings. Originally a side-entry plan, once common in
Tewkesbury. A long rear wing was added in the C17, with a very
steep pitched roof and timber framed gable; attached is a
lower gabled unit with horizontal boarding, and a further,
detached lower wing beyond this, in brick and tile, but with
half-timbered gable, and a loading opening.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 2- windowed. At first and second floors
are 2-light paired casements with transom and central mullion,
on moulded cill bands, returned to the projecting sides; at
the first floor is a small light on each of these returns. The
ground floor, in rendered brick or stone, has a wide opening
to 4-centred head and chamfered surround, stopped to the
plinth, to the right.
The plate-glass shop front is set back from the arch, and to
the left is a moulded panelled door to a 4-centre head and a
shallow transom light, with a plain glass display window
attached. Jetties are carried on carved brackets, 3 at ground
floor and 2 at the upper levels, and with moulded bressumer
facings, that to ground floor with brattished top. Deep
modillion eaves to moulded cornice and gutter box. A painted
Royal Arms with supporters is set below the first floor
windows, centrally. Some framing is visible in the right
gable.
INTERIOR: ground floor has features concealed; upper floors
not accessible but noted as having retained original and C17
features including panelling.


Listing NGR: SO8928932802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.