This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.994 / 51°59'38"N
Longitude: -2.1573 / 2°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 389297
OS Northings: 232850
OS Grid: SO892328
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TNB
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K4DQ
Entry Name: Lloyds Bank and Bank House
Listing Date: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201246
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376779
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/196 (West side)
Lloyds Bank and Bank House
Office building. 1921. Timber-framing with plaster panels,
brickwork, tile or slate roof. A large ground-floor banking
hall, with side passage to the right, carries 2 jettied floors
of offices or domestic accommodation, with 3 gables to the
3 storeys, 3-windowed. Under the jettied gables are small
2-light oriels on brackets, and at first floor larger 3-light
oriels, with transom, on curved brackets. Ground floor, on
high ashlar plinth, in fine oak joinery, with full-width
window in 3:5:3 lights to 4-centred heads, and with a transom.
To left a panelled door with side-lights under panel inscribed
'Tewkesbury Branch', to right a similar door under a 2-pane
transom light gives to the side passage. Under upper oriels
are 2 plaster panels, dated 1765 (left) and 1921 (right).
The return gable, left, is tile hung; 2 lofty 'Tudor' ridge
chimney stacks in brick.
The right-hand wall, beyond the passageway, is in brickwork,
with 2 large mullioned and transomd casements lighting the
banking hall. All casements have small-scale leading. Back
plain rendered, and rear roof slope is slated.
INTERIOR: ground floor is one large, high banking hall, with
no intermediate supports, and with a lobby inset at the left.
It is in a series of 9 large square ceiling compartments, the
central one being covered by an octagonal dome with
small-scale geometrical glazing. The others are sub-divided by
moulded beams into 4 smaller panels. The bay divisions and
wall panelling, with flat 4-centred heads and spandrels, are
all executed in high quality polished oak detail.
The windows to the front are in deep splayed embayments with
panelled reveals. The main counter appears to be the original
1921 fitting, and the late C20 glazed safety screen has been
inserted without damage to the primary structure.
The building, although faced out in timber-framing, is on a
larger scale than the traditional buildings of C16 and C17,
plainly showing its late provenance. An assured and
uncompromising design which plays a prominent part in the
street scene and exhibits a high standard of craftsmanship
both inside and out.
Listing NGR: SO8929732850
Other nearby listed buildings