History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Avonside

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9964 / 51°59'47"N

Longitude: -2.1559 / 2°9'21"W

OS Eastings: 389390

OS Northings: 233121

OS Grid: SO893331

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.V1F

Mapcode Global: VH93T.L23V

Entry Name: Avonside

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1201256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376807

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8933 HIGH STREET
859-1/5/224 (West side)
04/03/52 No.63
Avonside

GV II*

Large house in row. Mid C18. Flemish bond brickwork, tile
roof, brick stacks. A very substantial double-depth plan
Georgian house. 3 storeys and basement, 5-windowed. 9-pane
sashes at second floor, and 12-pane at first and ground
floors, all to brick voussoirs and decorative keystones with
cornice, stone cills, A wide central panelled door is set to
fluted Doric quarter-columns, under a frieze and decorative
fanlight. The plinth, containing air bricks for the basement,
rises to the cills of the ground-floor windows. There is a
plain band above the ground-floor keystones, and a moulded
parapet coping. The plain return wall to the right has a large
external brick stack near the back.
The back, which may have been added a little later, is
4-windowed, with 4-pane sashes to the second floor, and 2
plate glass with two 12-pane sashes at ground and first
floors, all to brick voussoirs without keystones. To the left,
at first floor, is an early C19 two-bay balcony on 6 cast-iron
brackets, and with decorative wrought-iron balustrade. Central
panelled door under arch with plain fanlight, similar to that
in No.62 (qv).
INTERIOR: the entrance lobby, on Minton tile floor gives
through a wide elliptical arch, with C20 glazed doors, to the
stair hall with fielded panelling. To the right of the entry a
room is completely lined with large fielded panels, in
stripped pine, with a dado rail, and fireplace with reeded
surround. The windows have inner shutters or panelling to
unusually shallow reveals for a house of this period. There
are fine moulded and eared architraves to panelled doors
throughout.
The grand open-well stair rises through both storeys to a
plain glass or plastic dome-light, replacing the C18 light.
The stair has an open string with scrolled ends to the treads,
newels with drops, turned balusters, and a swept and wreathed
mahogany handrail. A first-floor back room has 2 transverse
beams and a reeded cornice and beam mouldings, with a C19
fireplace.
This is one of the most grand of the rebuilt houses in the
High Street, retaining most of its original external
characteristics, and substantial unchanged interiors.


Listing NGR: SO8939033121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.