This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9926 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -2.1574 / 2°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 389286
OS Northings: 232692
OS Grid: SO892326
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.1C6
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K59T
Entry Name: 156, High Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376859
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/278 (East side)
House at junction of two principal streets, with shop. Early
C19 facade, some C18 interior detail. Flemish bond brickwork,
slate roof, brick stacks. A tall building with a splayed
corner, and parapet cropped close to third-floor window heads;
the property links the last building in the main run in High
Street with the first in Barton Street.
4 storeys, 1:1:1-windowed. 12-pane (horizontal) sash at third
floor, above 16-pane at first and second floors, all to brick
voussoirs and central fluted keystone with cornice. C20
plate-glass shop front to each facet, with deep-set doors on
splay front. A large stone panel inscribed 'Frisby's' has
replaced the central first-floor window.
INTERIOR, which links with No.1, Barton Street (qv), is very
simple, with remnants of contemporary stick-baluster
staircases, and 2 blocked fireplaces, one of these with eared
This building is a key element in the townscape at the
junction of the three main streets, The Cross; the top courses
of the walling, just below the parapet, are a rebuilding. A
1960 photograph in the NMR shows the first-floor splay to have
a glazing-bar sash where the inscribed panel is located.
(Photograph in National Monuments Record: 1960-).
Listing NGR: SO8929032695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings