This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9912 / 51°59'28"N
Longitude: -2.1628 / 2°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 388917
OS Northings: 232544
OS Grid: SO889325
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.01S
Mapcode Global: VH93T.G6GV
Entry Name: Abbey Mill
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376886
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO83SE MILL STREET
859-1/2/304 (North West side)
04/03/52 Abbey Mill
Water mill on River Avon, now restaurant and banqueting rooms.
Dated 1793 W I, some additions early to mid C19. Brickwork,
some painted, horizontal board on timber-framing, tile roofs.
PLAN: a complex structure in 3 storeys and attic on various
brick-arched waterways. 2 long parallel wings set gable to
street, with a third wing downstream forming squat T-plan; the
3 elements stepped back from road, and with original wheel
position to middle range. 3 mill races to undershot wheels.
Windows generally to segmental brick heads, and in timber, but
those to ground floor of up-stream wing are original cast-iron
small-pane; a 1923 photograph shows that cast-iron was still
retained in the first floor windows here.
EXTERIOR: front to Mill Street has half-hipped wing set back,
left, with hipped dormer above 2-light casements at first and
second floor, and door far right at ground floor, approached
over timber bridge. Middle wing, half-hipped end, 2-light at
first, second and third floors, and remains of approx 5m
diameter cast-iron wheel with 8 spokes set to pit below; some
blades remain and the wheel is still turned.
Wing right is gabled, painted brick, with gabled boarded
hauling bay at top floor having 16-pane pivoted light;
immediately below is 16-pane in main wall, above pair C20
doors at head of external flight concrete stairs, and a plank
door to right at ground floor.
Up-stream front in 6 bays, with deep projecting
horizontal-boarded hauling way to bay 4, on pair of slender
cast-iron columns over public footpath. 5 lofty
part-cantilevered gabled dormers with 16-pane lights above row
of small square lights at second floor, and 16-pane lights to
first and ground floor. Pair plank doors bay 4 under
River front has similar formation to Mill Street, but parallel
wings run flush; first gabled wing has scatter of four
16-light windows with door to right, middle unit half-hipped
with 2-light casements at each level above roof of projecting
single storey arched unit over waterway. Set-back down-stream
wing has lean-to with arched opening over waterway; above is
similar to opposite side, and half-hipped gable end has
central 6-pane lights at attic and second floor, 2-light at
first, and plank door below giving to a timber platform over
INTERIOR has been carefully restored and retains most of
original fabric; series of heavy square beams carried on
varied cast-iron columns to spine, some to spreader plates.
(Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-:
Listing NGR: SO8896532522
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings